Red Lion G3 error - Compactflash Required

Hey all, ive got a problem on a remote red lion G3 unit. The units have been working fine, but today when I tried to make a change to them, I got the following error

Error - Compact flash required for this operation.

The only change I made was adding one button to a screen. However, even if I use the old program, I cannot download to this screen. It still works on the unit, still is communicating with the PLC, and can still be pinged just fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Matt

My guess is that you are connecting via Ethernet and have upgraded your Crimson software since your last G3 download. Every time you upgrade Crimson it has to update the firmware in the G3, and if you are connecting via Ethernet it requires a Compactflash card to do the update. The easy solution would be to use the USB cable so it can update the firmware, then after that the Ethernet should work.

kolyur is exactly correct.

Anytime you change version of C2 the firmware needs to be updated. When updating via Ethernet you will be required to have a CF card. If you don't have a CF card you will need to download locally via serial or USB. After the upgrade you can then go back to Ethernet.

-Jeremy

Well, im 1000 miles from the machine and am working remotely. It seems the operator may have updated the software? Can it auto update? It sure worked when I was down there last year.
I will have them buy a CF card and put it in, and we will go from there. Thanks alot.

Any size issues / min / max for the CF?

Check with Redlion on which make of cards work I've had issues with Fuji cards not working on some units.Once we got a recomended card it all worked fine.

Too slow, Redlion support are just too fast........................

I went through loads of cf cards, only one to work for me was a sandisk 1 or 2gb from memory (not the high speed one)

We use Verbatim. It is the only one we have found that hasn't corrupted and lost data so far after a year of use. We have recently had two Sandisks go bad and they lost a lot of data.

smoore8 said:
We use Verbatim. It is the only one we have found that hasn't corrupted and lost data so far after a year of use.
That's good to know, we've used mostly Sandisk and have also found them to be somewhat unreliable.