VMWare (XPMode) & RSLinx 2.5 AB_ETHIP-1

24fretslater

Using my windows 7 machine I am running VMWare virtual XP with RSlinx 2.5. In the Virtual XP, when browsing the AB_ETHIP-1 driver I come up with nothing, yet if I run RSLinx 2.57 in Windows 7 I can see everything on the network. Also in VMWARE XP/RSLinx 2.5, using the AB_ETH-1 (not IP) driver I can see most of whats on the network but there is a 1769-L32E that has a yellow question mark "Unrecognized Device" and I can't click down into it like I can on my old laptop with the same version of RSlinx and therefore won't be able to use OPC. I even reinstalled RSLinx and manually installed the EDS file for it afterward to no avail. Is there some type of network bridging I need to do? I see that it's all bridged in Virtual Network Editor. What am I missing here? Anyone else have these issues? Thanks :)

These two issues are probably separate.

The 1769-L32E controller actually needs three different EDS files; the Ethernet daughtercard, the backplane object, and the CPU itself. Usually you get them when you update RSLinx Classic, but you might have to do them manually.

Right-click on each device to determine the actual firmware versions, then get the EDS files from the RA server.

The EtherNet/IP driver performs its browse by sending out a broadcast "List Identity" packet that all EtherNet/IP devices are supposed to respond to. My guess is that you have an XP firewall or a VPN tunnel or something else that's filtering that response out.

The first thing to check is to disable the XP firewall (there's an RA firewall tool that will do it for you). The next steps involve getting Wireshark on the host PC.