vmware and rslinx

Bstubby

RSlinx is able to see the PLC using ETH/IP but there is a yellow question mark. I am able to upload the EDS file but it is still a question mark. I am able to pull up the PLC in RSlinx on the host machine (I have used 2.57 but am now using 3.60).
I am running Vmware player on a Win 7 64bit machine. I have XP pro SP 2 on the guest OS. I am running RSlinx 2.57 on the XP machine using bridged network adaptor. I feel I am missing something basic here, has anyone had a similiar experience? Is there a good tutorial out there for setting up RSlinx in VMware?

RSLinx in VMware should be no different than your host machine. Yellow question mark typically indicates an EDS problem, you've said you have uploaded it but you haven't stated the device you are trying to communicate with.

Does your host instance of RSLinx see the device? Have you downloaded the EDS file and tried to install it rather than doing an upload?

I use VM's all the time, never had a problem unless the EDS file was incorrect.

What type of PLC are you having issues with?
RSLinx 2.57 is a pretty "old" revision; I don't know the reason for running some five years old software, however, I believe upgrading to 2.59 should improve the "recognition" of more modern hardware.
And one more mention, the new generation 5730 CompactLogix CPUs require minimum RSL5K Rev.20.0; RSL5K is not supported within an XPSP2 operating system; you might need to update your Guest OS to SP3.