Panelview Plus 6 will not communicate with slot 0

See the picture.

edit: pay attention to widelto's comment, you have to point the path through the ENBT that is on the same subnet as the HMI.

Runtime.PNG

Last edited:
The idea is to tell the program where the PLCs are.

The Design Tab tells the program how to get to the PLC from your computer (where you are designing the project).

The Runtime Tab tells the actual Panelview how to get to the PLC. Also, as other pointed out, you need the pointer to be pointed at the PLC, not the Panelview.

Think of this way, if your aunt Becky across the town ask you how to get to the tavern, the direction you give her would be different then the direction you would give to your next door neighbor.

Yes I do, slot 9 is our plant network and slot 2 is our machine level net work. That could be my problem I designed it using slot 9 card and they made me change it to using slot 2. I thought I could just redo my tags and it would work. That might be the case. Maybe I will start all over using slot 2 and leave the enbt card out of slot 9.

If you have your development machine out at the machine, get the design tab setup/configured properly and test run it. If it works, simply copy the design to runtime, recompile and download (replacing communications).

I don't normally do this...

This thread is what irritates me the most about this software (not you Kipper, the software). Nobody should have to struggle like this to get a piece of software to communicate with a piece of hardware, especially when both are made by the same manufacturer. Based on threads here, it has to be the most common problem people face with FTVS and it should be the simplest. It's needlessly complicated.

That whole communications setup should be killed with fire and replaced with excel equivalent of 3 columns. Driver Name, IP Address, Processor Slot. Done. No multiple configurations. No fussing with RSLinx Enterprise (FactoryTalk Linx), none of that garbage. If you need backplane routing, fine add a column for that but leave it blank, I would bet that the majority of users aren't routing from one rack to another.

Every time I run into a system where the controller is newer than RSLinx Enterprise and you have to manually configure it to talk to the wrong PLC... and it works just fine... it makes me want to punch myself in the face. Why make me do all this cr4p when it doesn't even care in the end? Madness I tell you.

Sorry.

I don't normally do this...

This thread is what irritates me the most about this software (not you Kipper, the software). Nobody should have to struggle like this to get a piece of software to communicate with a piece of hardware, especially when both are made by the same manufacturer. Based on threads here, it has to be the most common problem people face with FTVS and it should be the simplest. It's needlessly complicated.

That whole communications setup should be killed with fire and replaced with excel equivalent of 3 columns. Driver Name, IP Address, Processor Slot. Done. No multiple configurations. No fussing with RSLinx Enterprise (FactoryTalk Linx), none of that garbage. If you need backplane routing, fine add a column for that but leave it blank, I would bet that the majority of users aren't routing from one rack to another.

Every time I run into a system where the controller is newer than RSLinx Enterprise and you have to manually configure it to talk to the wrong PLC... and it works just fine... it makes me want to punch myself in the face. Why make me do all this cr4p when it doesn't even care in the end? Madness I tell you.

Sorry.

This and many other reasons are the basis for my general advice about Painelviews: "Throw it in the trash and buy a Red Lion".

You will be way ahead with both time and money. Sure, some of the Panelviews can draw some money on ebay, but smashing one with a hammer and tossing it in the dumpster provides a psychological reward that money can't buy.