You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:53 PM   #1
Cornato
United States

Converting PLC5 to Studio 5000

I'm a new AE and have been tasked with converting a 25yo PLC5 program to Studio 5000. I have a bunch of these BTW/BTR left over from the old program that got converted into MSG blocks. I don't know how to correlate them to Studio 5000. There's logic that uses the old BTW blocks DN bits and such. How do I mimic that in the new program? I have pictures but I just joined and idk how to post them on here.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:56 PM   #2
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Welcome to the forum!

For others, here are the screenshots...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PLC/comment...o_studio_5000/
Old May 23rd, 2022, 03:28 PM   #3
TheWaterboy
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Those were always used on Analog modules as those modules didn't use the backplane data bus the same way discrete modules did. So these had to be talked to explicitly to set up, and also to read values from. That's the BTR/BTW pair you often see. In an analog input module the BTW was set once to configure the module scaling etc, and the BTR was invoked as often as needed to read the analog value.

If that's what these were doing you can just note where the BTR put the analog values it read and relate those to the analog module tags you are using in the new PLC.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 08:17 PM   #4
Ken Roach
United States

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

If you are retaining the old 1771 I/O network and modules, then you need to migrate this logic to ControlLogix MSG instructions that perform the same BTR and BTW functions. You're going to have to identify each of those modules and figure out the RIO network addressing (the rack/group/slot stuff). You should probably also re-organize the triggering logic since some of it looks haphazard.

If you're converting to a modern I/O platform, you'll still have to understand the data table layout for the BTRs and BTWs, and the scaling of the signals for each module.

So start at the beginning: identify each of those I/O modules from the drawings or by physically looking at the labels.

And again, welcome to the Forum !
Old May 23rd, 2022, 08:51 PM   #5
Ken Roach
United States

A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words.

The triggering logic looks like the authors might have been mixing two common methods: self-retriggering as fast as possible (the /EN bit of the control block) versus a self-retriggering timer to execute the instruction periodically (the /DN bit from the Timer).

That works by coincidence to do periodic execution because the /EN bit from the control block is generally off after the BTR completes and the preceding rung instructions are false, so it's not relevant.

Especially when you don't have descriptions or good notes, figuring out analog module data from old PLC-5 programs requires careful research and attention.

It's do-able, but you really have to start with the part number of the module (and ideally its Series letter). Inferring the module type from the size and format of the data is hard.
Attached Images
File Type: png cornato_BTR.png (77.0 KB, 82 views)
Old May 24th, 2022, 03:16 PM   #6
Ken Roach
United States

A couple of more comments:

I noticed that Data File N20 is used extensively in this section of code: whole blocks of data from the block transfer module are moved around inside it, and the lower numbered elements are used on a word and bit basis for various functions.

And that's fine: it's one way to keep all the memory for a routine or program in a block of memory space, so you can reproduce that logic with a little search-and-replace.

PLC-5 controllers could have huge Data Table files (relative to the platform); you could have up to 32K in N20 if you wanted to, subject to the overall RAM of the PLC-5 controller. Lots of folks who are more familiar with the 256 word maximum for the SLC/MicroLogix Data Table files forget that.

Don't feel obligated to maintain that single-array method in ControlLogix. When I have raw legacy device data, I often put it into an array with a name like "RGS_021_Raw_Data[x]" and then process it with respect to status and scaling.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum