Low Cost Method to Read Amperage On a PLC/HMI?

WireGuy1950

I was wondering if any one had an idea how I could implement an amperage reading to the plc.

I have two PWM valves which draw about 3 amps maximum. Currently (pun), I use two 0-3 Amp meters in-line with each valve. I would like to just read the current into the plc analog input directly and display on the HMI.

I have extra analog voltage inputs available so I was thinking of a small shunt or resistor installed in a terminal block.

This is on a production machine, so it has to look professional and be repeatable. The PLC is a AD P2K.

DC or AC?

Try searching this forum with terms like "measure current with plc"

The range goes from clamp-on devices with 4-20mA outputto power monitoring devices that speak Modbus (e.g. here).

Last edited: