ABB ACS800 Drive

Rob S.

Have any of you come across a easy to understand quick start manual for a ABB ACS800 Drive. ABB seems so complicated.
Really just looking for the 4-20 ma speed reference, forward / reverse , start/ stop , etc. terminals and parameters.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Without an optional Analog I/O Extension module installed, the ABB ACS800 VFDs provide three on-board analog inputs; one is a voltage Analog Input AI1(RMIO board X21 connector, terminals 3 and 4) 0/2 - 10vdc and two 0/4 - 20mA current Analog Inputs RMIO Board X21 connector, AI2 terminals 5-6 and AI3 terminals7-8 respectively.
If you intend to use a 4-20mA analog speed reference, wire up the 4-20mA Source to RMIO board X21 connector terminals 5(+) and 6(-) then "tell" the VFD to "follow it" by setting P11.03 to "AI2".
In order to Start/Stop and change direction of the drive you will have to provide at least two switches (dry contact relays): "pick-up" the 24vdc (+) wire from the RMIO board X22 terminal, connector 8 and run it to one side of the switchs (relay contacts); the "other side" of switch (relay contact) designated as Start/Stop will be "returned" to RMIO X22 connector, terminal 1 as DI1 and the "other side" of the FWD/REV designated switch (relay contact)will be "returned" to RMIO board X22 connector, terminal 2 as DI2.
Once accomplished you will have to "tell" the drive to "listen to DI1 and DI2 by setting P10.01 to "DI1,2".
Start/Stop Switch OPEN -> Drive Stopped
Start/Stop Switch CLOSED -> Drive Started
FWD/REV Switch OPEN -> Drive to Run FWD
FWD/REV Switch CLOSED -> Drive to Run REV
Be careful though, with this setup (one Start/Stop switch), after a fault reset the drive will start if the Start/Stop switch is CLOSED.
This is a "bare-bone" setup but will get you going; I know the manuals are translated from Swedish by a Swedish speaker; try studying though, you'll eventually get the idea...;)

Last edited:
Being very familiar with the ABB drive products, I have to ask why an ACS800 was chosen when, as you say, all you want to do is make the motor shaft turn.

The ACS800 is a full-featured high performance drive and will never be "simple" to properly configure.

A better choice it would seem would be the ACS550 for hp's over 30 and the ACS355 for 30hp and smaller.

Have you looked at these?

Dmargineau that was precise. I have one different situation though. I have an Allen-Bradley VFD(1336) on devicenet i want to replace this with an ACS800. Not because i like it but we have more spares of the ACS800. The idea is to keep it simple. I want to control the speeds through Devicenet, this mean diferent Tags and code may be you can also point me in the simpler direction. The EDS parameters are different which means there might be pointing differetly as well. By the way the code is in Logix 5000 in control logix.

I don't know if ABB offers DeviceNet communication options for the ACS800; they might, thus they will provide you with the .eds file.
If you are replacing a 1336 with an ACS800 on a Logix platform, I would strongly recommend using EtherNet/IP for the ACS's integration; the RETA-01 EtherNet/IP communications adapter could be easily added to the Logix project hardware tree as a generic module; there are detailed examples of EtherNet/IP integration on the ABB web site.

RDNA-01 User Manual
http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot201.nsf/veritydisplay/650634edfc82a1f8c1257323003225f3/$file/en_RDNA-01_um_D.pdf
RDNA-01 EDS files
http://www.abb.com/product/seitp322/f12b5520207bb331c1257265002a17d6.aspx

I have yet to integrate an ACS800 with a Logix CPU on DeviceNet, however, the general DeviceNet rules apply; Scanner mapping should be COS 8-Byte Input and 8-Byte Output with the first 32-bit Input Scanner "Slice"/CLX DINT processed as Status and the second one as Feedback (REAL Data Type within the CLX); the first Output data block will be the Command and the second one the Reference; I believe you will have to COP between the RSL5K source and the hardware defined tags Input and Output arrays.
Refer to the ACS800 Hardware and Firmware manuals for in detail information about Fieldbus control.

Back in the office...
You could also integrate ACS800 + RDNA-01 within a Logx system using Explicit Messaging.
Refer to the attachment for ABB communications Objects structure.

Thank you a lot i will look at the scanner and see what will come out. I have looked at the code of the previous 1336 VFD its using UDT called VFD_I and VFD_O i want to change those to ABB_VFD_I/Os