Lets Play Critique My HMI

When are we seeing version 2 of this HMI :)
Regarding the button colour, perhaps you can simulate the light up effect by using a bright green/red when it is in that state and a dim green red when not. It will indicate running status as well as keeping with the colour request.

when I get a chance to finish it, sadly the automation thing isn't my full-time job (yet, I plan to make myself a position here doing just that over time) I'm stuck running loader and another gravel plant since we're short-staffed and overbooked at the moment. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it finished!

another question I have, how do I utilize a multistate indicator to have more than 2 states, say I want 3 states, "feed line off" "feed line starting" and "feed line running" how would I make an output that has 3 states?

Use an integer in the PLC to match your needs. Move a 0 into the integer for "off", a 1 for "starting", and a 2 for "running". Then set the multistage to mimic this on the HMI.
Edit. Oops, my bad. I read your post again and noticed you want to setup output from the HMI. I don't know about this HMI, but in some units you have to write this in code. I'm not sure how your unit would do this. But reading the logic from the PLC can be done like I explained above.

Last edited:
On the first tab of the multistate indicator configuration dialog is the option for how many states it has. Or you can insert states from within the "states" tab.

OK, here's the latest revision of my HMI, I made as many changes as I could to the color scheme that my dad would let me (it is his plant after all) I opted to keep the logo until I need that space for future navigation when I add more screens, I figured in the meantime its a placeholder.

They wanted the colored buttons so it would be easier for them to hit buttons quickly, and see the interlocked state from a quick glance, so I may have to go back to colored buttons there.

The guys seem to like different colors for different button functions, and in a couple weeks it will be them operating it not me, how does that saying go? "the customer is always.... something...." (y)

Let me Know what you think!

Main Screen.jpg

Manual Control Screen.jpg

Looks good!

I can make a suggestion for saving space and reducing clutter. Look for opportunities to make screen space serve multiple purposes. For example, on your second screen.

For each conveyor, you have a text label, a state indicator, a start button, and a stop button that are all visible at all times. But there really isn't any reason an operator would need to see a start button for a conveyor that is already started or a stop button for one that was already stopped.

I would stack your start button and stop button on top of each other. Make the Start button invisible when the conveyor is running and make the stop button invisible when the conveyor is stopped. Then instead of just saying "Start" and "Stop", Make the start button RED (to indicate it is currently stopped) and have it say "Push To Start Feed 1" and the stop button GREEN (to indicate it is currently running) and have it say "Push to Stop Feed 1". Now you have the label, the state, and the start/stop functionality all compressed into the same amount of space as a single button was taking before.

I always try to keep my fonts the same size, and all CAPS.

But looks good in any case :)

My biggest advice, work on your color choices. There are some theories on this, one is the "High Performance HMI", where color is used sparingly and majority of your HMI should be gray scale. I use some of this, however I also pay attention to color pallets and using colors that work well together versus the high contrast you are using.

Reference https://material.io/guidelines/style/color.html#color-color-palettehttp://. This is a google site for color selection/theory for app developers for android, but a valuable resource on color selection. I've been incorporating this into my hmi/scada screens along with parts of the High Peformance HMI Handbook and it's really improved the look and flow of my screens.

Is there maybe downloadable PDF version of this "High Performance HMI" book available?

Last edited:
Do not do this.
All something like this does is make it a pita to edit or see what is going on later.
You should be able to combine this suggestion into a common button with changing text based on state.
IMO, stacking objects is bad practice & should be an absolute last resort if the desired outcome cannot be achieved.
Based on OP posts, separate on/off buttons are what the operators are used to, & can make things quite obvious as to their function...

The high performance HMI book is targeted more towards supervisory HMIs, where an operator is planted in front of it. Some of the ideas and practices aren't even possible on machine level HMIs. Example, one project, that was done in ME, the operator stood about 20 feet away at times and wanted things to look and be sized so he could see them. He wanted the text color to change based on machine state. This contradicts the book as it really wants things to be grey. The authors obviously haven't spent a lot of time in front on the customer. In the end, it's about what's best for the operator.

Oops, my bad. I read your post again and noticed you want to setup output from the HMI. I don't know about this HMI, but in some units you have to write this in code. I'm not sure how your unit would do this. But reading the logic from the PLC can be done like I explained above.

no, you read me right the first time, I could have been clearer, I want an indicator to reflect states shown in ladder logic, I want to be able to see a state based on what is happening in the logic.

there are a lot of things I don't quite understand about FTview, is there a good book or guide explaining how to use all of the more "advanced" features? like recipes?

Publication UM004M-EN-E has some good data for you but google some images as well. Others have framed some good screens and you can get some ideas on what look to shot for. Then, you'll have to figure out the way to make all of it work.

HMIs are their own art and craft, in my opinion, and your operators will let you know what they like and don't like. Too much data on one screen is not necessarily good for operators.

Good luck....you'll get there.