Will DLR work with Fiber

blawrenz

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with setting up a Rockwell Automation DLR network and utilizing fiber between some of the nodes?
I am working on the layout of a new system that utilizes a Redundant 1756-L73 setup with approximately 23 Remote IO nodes that I intend to use EN2TR and AENTR modules. My problem is that some of the AENTR nodes are more than 100 meters from the next closest node so we plan to go through fiber converters and run fiber between the nodes to set up the ring. The Rockwell Manual that I reviewed indicated that fiber could be utilized between nodes but when I posed the question to Rockwell I got a response back saying that it would not work due to latency issues caused by the fiber converter.
Just wondering if anyone has tried and gotten a DLR to work successfully by utilizing fiber between nodes and if you have any tips on setting it up.
Thanks,
Brad

Thanks TWS,
I reviewed that document and found that it showed that fiber could be utilized. When I initially looked at it I did not notice that it said you had to use the 1783-ETAP device. So, I sent a question in to Rockwell and they came back and all they told me was: "It is not recommended to use media converters in the DLR because of induced latency on the DLR beacon."
So I thought I would post the question here in hopes that maybe someone has some experience in the use of media converters.
Anyway thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
You must use fiber converters that are designed specifically for DLR and certified to ODVA DLR spec compliance. These manufacturers usually have recommended beacon and timeout settings based on their testing.
Default beacon and timeout values calculated for copper only up to 50 nodes.
I would recommend to use ETAP1F that is designed for DLRs

Interesting, that reminded me of a project a few years back where the vendor used a pair of fiber converter and can't get DLR to work. Finally, they had to buy ETAP with fiber port.