PLC program example

Danian

Lifetime Supporting Member
Need help with or example of a plc logic that will feed material through a conveyor using a selector switch. In one position it feed material through once and in the other positon it will feed material through twice.

Standby for the assault, some with cannons some with feather dusters.
I will start, could you could give more info.
1) PLC make?
2) Type of language?
3) What colour PLC?

I agree with PLCnovice61 & gclshortt, but will also add:
There are many knowledgeable people on this forum that love to help others. I like to help people, too. I just like to see that they have at least attempted to help themselves, first. Can you show us what you have tried to achieve your goal? Whether in school or in industry, you will not last long getting others to just give you the answer. Show us your steps in attempting to get the answer.

Sounds more like homework help than application help... You'll need to show more effort than just copying and pasting a question from your lab sheet :ROFLMAO:

Even if it is application help you're looking for, as others have said, we need a lot more information.

Need help with or example of a plc logic that will feed material through a conveyor using a selector switch. In one position it feed material through once and in the other position it will feed material through twice.
Here is just a little tease and a push in the general direction.
I think you will need at least 3 inputs plus more for complete control. The minimum inputs needed are for each selector switch position and from a sensor to drive the counter for the once or twice feed situation.
As others have said, more info is needed and that we are glad to help. Show us what you have so far.

If this is for the press in your recent thread, I STRONGLY suggest you get help from a Certified shop to build this controller.

Last edited:
Yes yes and yes, I will do my homework before I ask, I thought that maybe someone would know what I was asking for.

Hi Nerdbotbot,
This is a little off topic (OT) for this thread, but yes you can run 3D simulations without a PLC depending on the interface protocol.
Here is a link to the drivers that will work with Factory IO:
https://factoryio.com/docs/manual/drivers/index.html

A free 30 day trial download can be obtained from the factory IO website:
https://factoryio.com/

I have used this in conjunction with automation directs do-more designer software (free). It has a simulator that will talk to Factory IO. (Modbus TCP)
http://support.automationdirect.com/products/domore.html

Here is another sample of using factory IO with the do-more programming software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJpGJQ8MwCk

Regards,

Need help with PLC programming

Hi,
This is what I have, I'm using a Automation Direct PLC DL205, 250CPU, one 16 Bit 120Vac input card, and one 8 Bit 120Vac Relay card.

INPUTS: X0=FEEDER HOME LIMIT SWITCH N/O
X1=FEEDER OUT LIMIT SWITCH N/O
X7=STOP INPUT MOMENTARY PB N/C
X10=RUN INPUT MOMENTARY PB N/O
X11=RESET INPUT MOMENTARY PB N/O
X12=FEED ONCE INPUT
X13=FEED TWICE INPUT

OUTPUTS: Y0=FEEDER FEED SOLENOID
Y1=FEEDER RETURN SOLENOID
Y2=CUTTER SOLENOID

SEQUENCE OF OPERATION:

FEED ONCE:
WHEN X12 IS ON, X0 IS ON, X1 IS OFF, X7 IS ON, AND X10 IS MOMENTARILY ON, Y0 COMES ON, WHEN Y0 COMES ON, FEEDER MOVES, X0 GOES OFF, FEEDER MOVES TO X1, X1 TURNS ON Y2 AND TURNS ON A INTERNAL TIMER IN THE PLC AND WAIT FOR 2SEC. WHEN TIMER REACH 2SEC. Y1 COMES ON AND MOVES FEEDER BACK TO HOME, X1 GOES OFF, XO COMES ON. THE CYCLE STARTS OVER AGAIN WITH OUT X10 BEING ON AGAIN MOMENTARILY.

FEED TWICE:
SAME AS FEED ONCE BUT TURNS ON Y2 AFTER FEEDER HAS GONE THROUGH TWICE.

Need help with restarting the cycle with out X10 being ON again and not turn ON Y2 until the cycle has gone through twice with X13 ON.

Last edited:
It would be easier to read if you take screenshots of your program.

But if it allready works one cycle with pushbuttons, then you need only add counter. Enable feeding 2nd time on paraller with your start button, if 2nd feed is selected and 1st cycle is stopped.

I agree with using a two position mechanical Selector Switch for the Feed once or Feed twice so that both can't be on at the same time.
Another suggestion would be a four position selector switch for Off, Inch, Single Cycle, or Continuous. You will need additional rungs to accomodate these conditions.
As Lare suggested, use a counter or more than one if necessary, to figure out that 1 cycle is done and that 2 cycles are done.

If you have trouble making screenshots, Export the program as a Monic (*.txt) file and Attach it to a post here. On the other hand, Save the project, Copy to a separate folder, Zip that folder, then, Attach it to a post here. I'm sure others have the software to open it. Personally, I use DirectSoft5.

Last edited:
Since this is for a feeder and not for the press, I will be glad to help you learn this part.

Some suggestions:
Rung 1:As soon as the feeder moves off of the Home L.S. or X10 and C0 is released, Y0 is going to de-energize and stop feeding regardless of whether or not the Feed out L.S. X1 position is reached.
If you are using a solenoid such as a two-coil sliding bobbin type that does not require maintaining an energized state then your logic for Rung 1 may work but you will not be able to maintain control.
Rung 4: As soon as the Feeder Return Sol. Y1 moves the feeder off of the Feeder out L.S., Timer T0 is going to reset because of Rung 3. Timer type TMR require the input to be energized or it will reset. This will probably also disrupt Rung 5 and other actions downstream.
If you are using a solenoid such as a two-coil sliding bobbin type that does not require maintaining an energized state then your logic for Rung 4 may work but you will not be able to maintain control.

My suggestions are just that, not necessarily the only way or right way to do something.

Another feature is a signal from the press that it is "OK to Feed" to an input of the feeder plc.
Also, please consider a 4 position switch and the needed programming for the features I mentioned earlier in post #13.

Last edited: