Anybody used vortex coolers for panel climate control?

strantor

I'm just discovered these vortex coolers from Automation Direct. I've never heard of them. They cost 1/10th of an A/C unit of the same BTU rating. The description on the AD website is a bit lacking so I briefly read/watched some info from google. The principle of operation is beyond me, but I can push the "I believe" button. The thing that concerns me is that it seems air from the compressed air supply is going into the panel. I don't know the quality of the compressed air where this panel is going to be installed, so it seems to me that the panel could have droplets of water or oil blown into it by this cooler. Or does the vortex spin all of that out?

I'm also concerned about air availability. Not everybody considers compressed air vital. Maybe they turn the compressor off before leaving for the weekend and leave the panel turned on. I don't know what kind of new, unique challenges this device would bring with it. So I ask you, have you used them? Experiences?

I'm just discovered these vortex coolers from Automation Direct. I've never heard of them. They cost 1/10th of an A/C unit of the same BTU rating. The description on the AD website is a bit lacking so I briefly read/watched some info from google. The principle of operation is beyond me, but I can push the "I believe" button. The thing that concerns me is that it seems air from the compressed air supply is going into the panel. I don't know the quality of the compressed air where this panel is going to be installed, so it seems to me that the panel could have droplets of water or oil blown into it by this cooler. Or does the vortex spin all of that out?

I'm also concerned about air availability. Not everybody considers compressed air vital. Maybe they turn the compressor off before leaving for the weekend and leave the panel turned on. I don't know what kind of new, unique challenges this device would bring with it. So I ask you, have you used them? Experiences?

Unless you have VERY dry, VERY clean air, everything in your panel will be quickly coated with a thin film of oil, water, and dirt. Filtering will only help if people remember to change the filters. They also consume LOTS of air, and that's a non-trivial expense to compress and dry it. I'm sure they have their place; I just haven't fount it yet. Perhaps a hazardous location that can't use a regular control panel air conditioner?

Bite the bullet and buy a cabinet AC unit if you need cooling, or rearrange your cabinet and components to dump the heat out of the cabinet more effectively (through-wall heatsinks, etc...)

-rpoet

Several of the markets I work in use them. They work great in the environments where an A/C unit would be a PITA to maintain, such a very dusty (Limestone, Wood and Plastic, our 3 biggest natural resources in this area)...

However, they are not efficient at all, if you calculate the watts cooled vs. consumed in air use.

They specify how clean the air needs to be and generally require a dryer and regulator.

https://www.vortec.com is who I am familiar with.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to pass on the vortex coolers for now. There are too many unknowns for the air quality/availability and the environment isn't one that justifies it. It's cool to know about though, maybe I will find an application for it in the future.

I have seen a few of them and everyone is a mess the always dump oil and dirt allover the panel interior. There is just no way to get the supply air clean enough plant supplies always have oil in the lines.
if I had a choice I would go with these https://www.thermoelectric.com/
I have used then on many panels the no air exchange from outsider to inside, no chemicals at all. the only moving part is the cheep box fans easily replace and low cost

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to pass on the vortex coolers for now. There are too many unknowns for the air quality/availability and the environment isn't one that justifies it. It's cool to know about though, maybe I will find an application for it in the future.

We have 2 of them. One in a panel where the Skid vendor mounted a 30 HP VFD, the PLC, the control wiring, and some air-driven instruments in the same 36 x 48 x 12 panel. The VFD heats up the panel and the PLC trips out on high temp ... maybe twice a year .. before the vortex cooler was installed. Clean dry air is available about 20 feet away from the panel.

The second is in the dustiest area we have. A 96 x 96 x 24 cabinet houses a
400 HP switched reluctance drive. The compressor is 600 feet away in a less dusty area and is only used to cool that panel. And the compressor requires daily maintenance - filters mostly - to keep it running. A serious PITA.

As has been mentioned - clean, dry air is too expensive to use for air conditioning in most cases.

the oil/dirt issue can be solved using a 2 or 5 micron filter. BUT it MUST be checked constantly and drained.

as stated, you must also have very dry air. but that will not solve all your issues. you must have an inline water filter, and a drop leg on the airline to also drain the water.

james

I've used several of them.

One site has a large supply of compressed air but they don't maintain it all that well. There are several Vortex on this site for at least 5 years and we haven't experienced the oil, moisture and dirt issue that others have addressed.

The other site is a sawmill and the given panel is in an very dusty environment. The vortex does very well at cooling the panel and keeping the interior reasonably dust-free.

Yes the vortex cooler does consume a load of air, but they definitely have their place.

I investigated a vortex cooler for an aluminum pot line crane control system. To keep the 24 x 20 x 12 panel cool enough, I needed the cooler that used 100CFM at 40PSI, oil free (which represents added losses in the air system). When I ran that by the owner, they calculated out the air compressor demand cost of running that vortex cooler as basically that of running a 7-1/2HP motor continuously! They opted for using it anyway however because even an industrial A/C unit was not going to last long in that environment. It was an eye opener though...

In lieu of vortex coolers, we've used air-to-air heat exchangers from Thermal Edge Inc. in a few applications. They won't cool the panel below outside ambient temperature, but may be worth a look.

strantor said:
They cost 1/10th of an A/C unit of the same BTU rating

Anyone look at the SCFM they are using/consuming? wondering what they real cost is over electrical rate and the A/C unit over the long term... I looked once a long time ago and air from a screw compressor was not cheap