RSView Studio Problems with Tag Browser

freaker

Hello Everyone.
Let me start by being completely honest with everyone. I am trying to teach myself RSView so that I can program PanelView Plus' at work, but I cannot borrow the works copy of the application so I have downloaded a cracked version of the software to learn how it works, then once proficient in it I will use our licensed copy at work for actually programming our units.
I say this because I know how irritating it is when people who pirate software ask for help working with it. I buy all the software that I actually use, but this is simply too expensive to buy just to 'play' with it.

My problem is that I have made up a project with a 640 X 480 display with a ControlLogix processor and I am trying to get an ACD file I wrote seperatly to work with it. I want to be able to use the tags from the offline file. I have got the tags in the program and they show up in the tag browser. When I am trying to connect a push button to a processor tag I can select the tag from the browser, click OK and it appears in the "Value" line on the Connections tab.
In this case it is {::[Benns Setup)Program:MainProgram.MyProgTags}.

Now this is a DINT, so to reference the bit that I want I have to edit the address to read

{::[Benns Setup]Program:MainProgram.MyProgTags.0}

But when I press the "." on my keyboard nothing happens. I can however close this window, goto to the property panel and add it here. I have no idea why that is, and then to make things worse sometimes this whole thing works the other way round so that the "." can only be added from the Properties Dialog and not the Properties panel.

Can someone please tell me what is going on? If it is the version I have (3.20.00 CPR 6) is there a demo that you can download to allow you to learn this application? Or can you purchase a cheap "Learning" edition?

Any help with this is appreciated.

Craig

I believe RSView runs as a 2 hour demo with limited tags with no license. You don't need a 'cracked' version to play. However, if you are using RSLinx Lite that came with CLX, you won't be able to communicate to the PLC. You need RSLinx Classic, professional, etc.

Last edited:
I have always found that I could not modify a word reference to a bit reference on first selecting it. I had to edit it after returning back to the 'connection' window.

Thankyou both. As I am using a cracked program it comes with RSLinx Enterprise so I do not suffer any issue that you may get with RSLinx Lite. Also I do intend to use a cracked copy for any sort of real work so I will not be connecting to a PLC, this is purely offline work at home where I don't have a processor to hand.

Thank you for your replies. It is interesting to see that a bug like this appears so quickly into reading the documentation and manuals. I have never got used to Rockwells inability to test an application before releasing it. I have only seen RSLogix 5000 get to where I would want it to be since version 15. Thank goodness we have a service contract, although it shouldn't really be necessery.
Craig

freaker said:
I have never got used to Rockwells inability to test an application before releasing it.

Rockwell has an emulator for RSLogix 5000 applications. Works great for testing for the most part (we have found a few bugs). Also, you can configure your PV application in FactoryTalk View Studio to target the emulator and test the Panelview application as well. No hardware required other than your development PC.

Regards,

Justin

Ah... I didn't know that. I though I was going to have until I got into work before I could rig up some hardward and play with it properly. I will have a go at that.

Tahnk you.

Craig