PLC5 I/O configuration

bwana_88

We have a PLC5/11 with a 16 Slot rack.Slots 00 through 14 are full so is Slot 17.There are 2 empty slots ie 15 and 16.When I look at the I/O Configuration (Within RSLogix 5) , it shows me that I have a 4 slot rack only.I came across this http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/.
We have no spare I/O left on the cards present therefore I need to add a 1771-IBD Card and have the following questions to ask please
a)How will the PLC recognise that I have a new Input card installed?
b)What will happen to the I/O configuration?
c)This machine has been running for over 10 years now and I have never paid any attention to the I/O Configuration till today.What if I change the configuration file to show me the correct number of slots with their respective cards.What should I expect to see?
d)Should I leave the configuration file alone, just install the card and start programming the PLC?
Appreciate any help I can get.Thanks in advance.

a)How will the PLC recognise that I have a new Input card installed?

The I/O config is strictly for documenting the I/O layout. It is not required. It can be useful for configuring analog modules. Since it was never documented, it shows the default 4-slot chassis.

b)What will happen to the I/O configuration?

Nothing. Doesn't change, doesn't need to.

c)This machine has been running for over 10 years now and I have never paid any attention to the I/O Configuration till today.What if I change the configuration file to show me the correct number of slots with their respective cards.What should I expect to see?

It is only for documentation. Update it if you like but it isn't required.

d)Should I leave the configuration file alone, just install the card and start programming the PLC?

You got it!

OG

The PLC5 I/O configuration is documentation only. A SLC500 is different and needs the I/O config. So to answer your question is, you can change the configuration to show the proper rack and cards. It looks nice and provides good documentation or just plug the card in ( power down first of-course) and away you go.
Take notice that the input data file will show all available inputs no matter what the I/O config says.

EDIT:
Operaghost types faster then I do. That finger just ain't what it used to be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
If the 1771-IBD card was installed in Slot 15, Input addresses available to me would be I:15/00-07 and I:15/10-17.Am I correct in saying that?

Thanks for the feedback.
If the 1771-IBD card was installed in Slot 15, Input addresses available to me would be I:15/00-07 and I:15/10-17.Am I correct in saying that?

No, see picture below. If you mean slot 13 then your answer is yes.
The processor occupies the first physical slot, and then the next is zero, counts up from there.

Slot15.jpg

Last edited:
That's assuming 1-slot addressing; which is probably a good assumption.

To verify check the following while online.

OG

EDIT:

Mickey I am a speed typist. I use two fingers!

PLC5_Processor_Status.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks again.
The PLC is using 1-slot addressing.
Is the procedure to follow as follows?
1)Power down the PLC
2)Install 1771-IBD Card
3)Power-Up the PLC
4)The next available input address is I:15/00 based on the new card I have just installed.
5)Will the PLC recognise the card and will it accept address I:15/00-17 automatically as I edit my program with the mentioned addresses?
6)Should I make the changes in the PLC program OFFLINE and download or should I make the changes ONLINE? Will there be any issues with either?

5)Will the PLC recognise the card and will it accept address I:15/00-17 automatically as I edit my program with the mentioned addresses?

Yes

6)Should I make the changes in the PLC program OFFLINE and download or should I make the changes ONLINE? Will there be any issues with either?

If you mean changes to the I/O configuration, then this can be done offline. The I/O config as stated above is documentation only and is not stored in the PLC.

Since I/O Configuration is strictly for documentation purposes, if I were to ignore the I/O Configuration altogether, can I now go ahead and
a)wire all the sensors (6 in total) to the new 1771-IBD (once installed) card
b)make logic (to accomodate the 6 sensors mentioned above) changes OFFLINE and then download my modifications onto the CPU or
c)could I make PLC Logic changes ONLINE and test my modifications to the logic thereafter?
Thanks again for all your feedback.

Yes you an make your logic changes online.

The I/O points for slot 15 (and all the other slots, whether in use or not), are already "created".

PLC5 creates Input and Output Image Files by default of the maximum size supported by the type of processor.

With all the help I got here, I was able to install the I/O card with no difficulties.
Procedure that I followed:-
a)Powered down machine
b)installed the I/O card
c)Powered back up (noticed no PLC faults)
d)Checked the physical I/O connected to the card just installed.
e)Started programming (programming portion hasn't been tested since Production needed the machine)
f)as suggested in the responses earlier, there was no need for me to change the configuration file
Once again, thanks to all those who responded.