Check ethernet node status in RSlogix

bubbagumper6

Is there an easy way to basically "ping" various ethernet nodes in RSlogix? I have a small automation cell with various cameras and barcode readers that communicate directly with my robot (so they are not configured in the RSLogix hardware tree) and I would like to display their node communication status on the HMI. In the past I've done this via a Hirshmann ethernet switch and reading the port status but this time we're using a Cisco IE-2000 switch and I cannot find any information on reading port status on it. So I was wondering if maybe there was a way to use the MSG instruction to just send a generic "Are you alive" kind of message directly to an IP address and just getting back some kind of pass/fail result.

Processor is a 1769-L33ER
Software version is 30.11

If the devices support EtherNet/IP, I've done this by sending a MSG command to execute a CIP Generic message to read Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 (the Vendor ID).

Because the Identity Object (Class 0x01) is mandatory, EtherNet/IP devices always respond to it.

I don't know of a way to literally do an ICMP PING with ControlLogix, but you could modify the Generic Sockets code to attempt a TCP connection to whatever TCP ports are open and operating on those devices (like 80 for a HTTP webpage, or 502 for Modbus/TCP).