Issues upgrading CompactLogix

hamsacker

I am upgrading an existing compactlogix from a L33ER processor to an L37ERM because the system I'm working on needs more ethernet connections. I did not have the original project file so I did an upload from the L33 processor, made a copy and then changed the processor type in the project.​

After physically installing and downloading the changed program into the L37 processor none of the VFDs (powerflex 525) that are connected will start. When going online the VFDs are showing that they are connected and I am able to view the configuration, but when given a start signal they do not start. The inputs from the VFDs show that they are ready and not faulted so I'm at a loss.​

When swapping back the old processor the system works again as normal. My best guess is this has something do with the old processor using v30 firmware and the new processor using v31. All of the drives are on firmware 5.001. I have around 20 drives total and I'm hoping that I don't have to update the firmware on all of them o_O

My other guess is it has something to do with the keying of the processor. I used the compare tool and essentially the only difference between the old and the new project is the Ekey state. https://imgur.com/5ou4ATy (new project on left, old project on right) I have no clue how to change this state to match the old project.​

Hopefully someone here can lead me in the right direction with this because I'm stumped. Let me know if more information is needed and I can post more screenshots.​

I see no reason why the firmware of the drives or the processor would have anything to do with it, other than maybe an Add-On Profile problem between the drives.

When you are online with the program, what do the drives look like in the tree? Does the 525 thumbnail show up? Is there a big "?" icon instead? Is there the proper icon but a hazard symbol over it?

As far as I know the add on profile is okay but I'll reinstall it on v31.​

When I'm online the drives have the thumbnail and not a "?". They
do not have the hazard symbol either.​

I can't say that I've done this exact thing (taken an existing project and simply upgraded the controller), but for the first time setting up PF525's, I have a set of steps that I do. I don't use v31 much so I'm much more familiar with the drive properties of the pre-v31 programs....

-Open a copy of the program (stay offline)
-Open a drive property
-Download the drive parameters from the appropriate tab (while still offline)
-Repeat for every drive
-Download the program to the controller

You could try this with one drive to see if you can get one of them to work.