SLC 500 - unable to verify settings due to packet timeout

Datam

When I try to connect my SLC 500 to my deskptop it tells me "unable to verify settings due to packet timeout" I already bought a null modem cable but when I connect it to this one it says "Failed to find the baud and parity!" I dont know why.

At my SLC 500 the power led is on and my CPU Fault blinking, I would like to know the problem.

I use the 1747-Pic cable to communicate the SLC with the desktop, is this right? I connect it to the DB9 port using an adapter, is this ok?

I need to get my SLC 500 plc working for tomorrow, please some help...

Which SLC500 do you have SLC5/01,02,03,04,05?

Do you have the offline program for your processor? If so post it here someone will help you look at it's channel configuration. Zip the file first.

The 1747-PIC will only work if the port on your SLC is configured for DH485. And you must use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx.

how could I know? y really dont know. it says it is l30c or something like that,

Do you have the offline program for your processor? If so post it here someone will help you look at it's channel configuration. Zip the file first.

I dont, how could I get that? I just want to connect it to rslink first

The 1747-PIC will only work if the port on your SLC is configured for DH485. And you must use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx.

how do I configure it to dh485?

how could I know? y really dont know. it says it is l30c or something like that,

I dont, how could I get that? I just want to connect it to rslink first

how do I configure it to dh485?

What is the catalog # of your slc 500 processor. I might be able to help you because I had this type of connectivity problem in the past.

I have shown my responses in red.

When I try to connect my SLC 500 to my deskptop it tells me "unable to verify settings due to packet timeout" I already bought a null modem cable but when I connect it to this one it says "Failed to find the baud and parity!" I dont know why.

At my SLC 500 the power led is on and my CPU Fault blinking, I would like to know the problem.
The problem is most likely "No Program in the PLC". You will need to establish your communication first. Next you will need to download your program to the PLC. See page 6-3 and 6-4 in the User manual. Here is a link to the manual.
Link:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um009_-en-p.pdf

I use the 1747-Pic cable to communicate the SLC with the desktop, is this right? I connect it to the DB9 port using an adapter, is this ok?
Many posts on this forum state that the 1747-PIC will not work with a USB to Serial adapter, only a computer with a real RS232 serial port will work with the 1747-PIC. Is the adapter you are referring to a DB9 to DB25 adapter or a USB to RS232 adapter?

I need to get my SLC 500 plc working for tomorrow, please some help...

Last edited:
well I dont use an usb adapter, I connect it to my desktop with the DB9 serial port.

I think it worked but it tells me now at RSLinx that it is faulty, and at RSLogix doesnt work to go online

What I did was connect it and then at RSLinx on configure driver used 1747-PIC then I left everything to default and it kind of recognize it

Last edited:
well it says it is the 1747- L30C serie B does that works?

To use the 1747-PIC, you need to get yourself an old Win XP computer with an onboard serial port. For some odd reasons the 1747-PIC will not work with a usb to serial adapter.

Once you have the appropriate computer, install rslinx and add a 1747-PIC driver to use the 1747-PIC.

what types of icon do you see in rslinx device window pane? what error message, if any, do you see?

I dont see any error message, on details it just says faulty, and the cpu fault on the SLC keeps blinking, and the RSLogix 5000 doesnt go online with it, I am trying now with the RSLogic 500, let me check

I'm intrigued by something in the original post ...

I already bought a null modem cable but when I connect it to this one it says "Failed to find the baud and parity!"

The connection from your computer to the SLC500 should be:

Computer COM Port - 9/25 pin adapter - 25 pin D connector - Grey Ribbon cable - 1747-PIC Box - grey 1747-C10 cable - SLC500 port

When setting up the "1747-PIC / AIC+ Driver" there is no configuration - just select OK. If necessary manually set your COM port to 19200 baud.

Once that is done stay in RSLinx. Under the 'Communications' tab select RSWho. Select the driver. You should be able to see the SLC identified with an icon and the proper type.

Only after you have all that then start up RSLogix500.

If you are sure that the system has a proper program in it then you can attempt to use RSLogix500 to go online.

If the system is probably empty or you don't care about its program then create an empty program (New) with your SLC500 type selected. Then just download it to the SLC500. On going to 'Run' the fault light should stop blinking.

Last edited:
wel I tried with another program and it worked, but everything you said is right, I needed to do all that, and really thank you all! it finally works! thanks to you I would get a good note :D now I need to program it hah but really thanks!!