1747-UIC driver will not install on windows7 64 bit

Welcome to the Forum!

irishfanntn said:
...driver Installation of 1747-UIC running Windows 7 64 bit...

I assume you mean the hardware drivers for the UIC device itself and not the RSLinx Classic drivers for the communications?

449894 - RSLinx Classic: Using the 1747-UIC adapter in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 Bit OS
Access Level: Everyone

For the hardware drivers, and as instructed in the technote, if you go to the FTDI link and download the Windows x64 (64-bit) D2XX drivers, you should be good to go. These drivers are also provided with the RSLinx Classic installation media and are installed to this folder automatically for v2.51 or above...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\PnP_Drivers\1747-UIC

As mentioned in the other linked thread, there are two driver layers that need to be installed for the FTDI based UIC devices. One driver, the D2XX DLL, is for the Serial Bus layer and the other driver, Virtual Com Port (VCP), is for the Com Port layer. FTDI used to provide these drivers separately but the newer packaged drivers use what is known as the Windows Combined Driver Model (CDM). This allows both of the above mentioned drivers to be packaged into the one driver installation.

When you plug in the UIC device for the first time on a computer you should initially see a device appear under Other devices with a name similar to Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC. The exact name can vary depending on the age of the device and the device ID information stored on its EEPROM. Windows may attempt to automatically install the drivers for this device, but more often than not is unsuccessful.

The first step is to install the Serial Bus layer driver. If you right-click the Other devices entry and choose to update the driver, then manually browse to the CDM driver folder that you've now downloaded from the FTDI website, or have already installed on your computer. If the download is compressed (zipped) then make sure to decompress (unzip) the files first. Once the first driver is installed successfully you should now see a new entry under Universal Serial Bus controllers named USB Serial Converter or sometimes Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC. This means the Serial Bus layer driver is successfully installed.

Back up in Other devices there will still be an entry but now it has changed to USB Serial Port. This means the device is now ready to install the Com Port layer driver. Follow the same procedure as for the first driver by right-clicking and pointing a driver update to the same CDM driver folder. Once successfully installed a new entry should now appear under Ports (COM & LPT) named USB Serial Port (COMx) or USB DH-485 Serial Port (COMx) where x denotes the assigned Com Port number. There should no longer be any entries under Other devices related to this device.

The UIC device should now be ready to use under Windows 7 x64.

If you have already messed around installing drivers for this device and are unsure of where you are at before doing the above, then you can uninstall the drivers first by also right-clicking on any entries that relate to this device and choosing Uninstall. On the Confirm Device Uninstall window select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. If uninstalling both the Serial bus layer and the Com Port layer drivers then uninstall the Serial Bus Converter device first and then the USB Serial Port (COMx) device.

Also, if you want to uninstall "phantom devices" from the Device Manager then there is a method to display these. It lets you view any device that was previously present even though it is not currently plugged in to the computer. I won't explain that method unless you need it or someone else requests it.

Regards,
George

Last edited: