Compact Logix or Control Logix

DRPHIL

Have a modular unit that requires EtherNet communications, 6 DI, 6DO, 1 AI, and 1 AO. Each module will also control a VFD Allen Bradley 40 series, 70 series, 500 series.

These module will communicate to other modules in the system.

Not sure which one Compact Logix or Control Logix is the best choice.

For that small amount of I/O a CompactLogix would be my choice.

For that small amount of I/O I suspect there won't be much in the way of program either.

Compact logix will be suitable for that purpose, control logix will be over killed.
Do not forget a good manageable data switch to handle VFD PF40 or PF70 and data communication with other devices.

DRPHIL asked us to choose, and gave the alternatives.....

"Not sure which one Compact Logix or Control Logix is the best choice."

I assumed he only had those choices, so answered accordingly.

The stated scope would be suitable for the smallest CompactLogix controller, the 1769-L16ER-BB1B.

If the digital inputs and outputs are 24V and do not represent encoders or flowmeters, the embedded 16 input and 16 output points on the controller will serve them. The analog input and output channels can be served by appropriate POINT I/O modules. Current-loop or 0-10V analog 2-channel modules are available.

Remember this is the smallest and least powerful CompactLogix; it only supports six expansion POINT I/O modules and four devices on EtherNet/IP. If the application expands, a larger controller can be easily substituted.

The element of "this module will communicate with other modules" raises a bit of interest to me; the ability of controllers to run Produced/Consumed Tags to inter-communicate can rapidly use up the controller's communication resources.

A system where ten controllers all talk to one HMI is easy, but a system where ten controllers all simultaneously talk to one another is harder.