You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 28th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1
argetsad
United States

AOI Help RS LOGIX 5000 - Bit On during certain hours

I'm looking for an AOI that I can import 2 different times (let's say 1:00 AM and 4:00 PM (12 hour format)). If the current time is between these two times then it turns on a bit, if not the bit is off. So the heater is active at 1AM and not active after 4PM for that day of the week only. The next day might be active from 5pm to 7 pm. The following day different again.

I am creating a 7 day Setup for a water heater. The heater needs to be active between hours X and Y and the heater element is on when the temp is lower than the max value. I know I could use some logic to do this but I'm looking for a cleaner approach.

I'm using RSLOGIX5000, 1769-L30ER, ver 24.01, and an automation direct HMI Cmore Ver 6.31

Thanks ahead of time.
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Aardwizz
United Kingdom

Sometimes "some logic" IS the cleaner approach. If you are only going to use this AOI once to drive your one heater (but moving different times into it on different days, then you might as well just code the function. AOIs are best for reusable code.

Let's imagine this mythical AOI you're looking for:
- "1:00 AM" is a string. Are you planning on passing a string to the AOI and then parsing it out? Unlikely. That means that you'll have an Starting_HH input, Starting_MM, and Starting_PM (Bool). Same with Ending_HH, etc. The way you write you HMI interface to this will be how the PLC data will be.

- For outputs, do you just need a "BETWEEN" bit?

- For the logic, what if the Ending < Starting (i.e, Start at 11:00 PM, End at 1:00 AM)? Does the logic allow that or not?

With this, you can write your own AOI faster than it'll take to wait around for someone to hand it to. If AOI is where you want to go, which I doubt.
Old January 5th, 2018, 12:30 PM   #3
saultgeorge
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I would write the routine for operating the water heater, and use the clock in the controller. You could then enter the start time and stop time into your routine from your HMI , and when the time equals say the start time, then use a one shot to start and then the same with stop.
Old January 5th, 2018, 12:46 PM   #4
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

I wouldn't bother with an AOI, just read the wall clock and use LIM and EQU in a routine.
Old January 5th, 2018, 01:05 PM   #5
jstolaruk
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_10 View Post
I wouldn't bother with an AOI, just read the wall clock and use LIM and EQU in a routine.
Agreed, unless you have a bunch of heaters with different ON-OFF times.
Old January 5th, 2018, 01:57 PM   #6
RonJohn
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_10 View Post
To go a step further, use a day of week AOI with the value as a pointer to elements of a start time & stop time arrays for your limit values.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum