Novice with FT ME ver.7 question

dakers

I'm self taught so far, so hang with me as I try to explain my issue. I've got an archived program file for a PVP6 that I'm opening on FT ME ver. 7. I'm doing this so that I can update the IP address in the programs communication setup. That's the only change I'm making. Then I create a new runtime file and reload it to the touchscreen. Simple enough. I have successfully done this with many of the touchscreens in the plant. However, now I have one that does not want to communicate after I load the updated version. Any ideas why this might happen? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dana

Welcome to the forum!

Does the HMI run the application, but just doesn't display any values from the PLC? If it doesn't run the application at all, it could just be that you created the runtime file in the wrong version.

Did you definitely change the IP address in both the design and runtime tabs of the communication setup?

Did you tell the transfer utility (or the HMI itself) to overwrite the RSLinx Enterprise configuration on the HMI with the one from your new file?

My money would be on the last one - the HMI can be configured to run an application but use the internally programmed RSLinx Enterprise configuration rather than the one defined in the .mer file. So if you've changed it in the .mer file, but the PVP isn't looking there for the PLC's IP address, it won't work.

Thank you, ASF. Yes, to all. It does run the program, I did change both the design and runtime, and I did tell it to overwrite. It loads the application, but it just shows all read outs in error. I'm wracking my brain. I'm sure it's something super simple I'm missing.

Check that the design comms are ok by using the test application button or pick a screen and use the PLAY button. You should get diagnostics in the bottom window.

Also check the RSLinx Enterprise configuration that exists on the PVP itself - just to be certain that it's all transferred across directly.

Beyond that - can you ping both the PLC and the HMI from your laptop?

I'll try reloading and pinging later today when we go down.🤞🏻 I'm limited on time with certain equipment. I can't just shut things down freely. Thank you, all. I'll update you as to how it goes as soon as I can.

Dana

As ASF suggested, go into the Config Mode on the PV terminal and verify the shortcut is calling the correct IP address. That should be step #1.

OG

You said simple... Did you make sure "Replace Communications" was ticked on the ME Transfer Utility?

Yes. I did. I'm just waiting for another opportunity to test it. I didn't have a chance yesterday, and I had today off. Hopefully I will get to work on it again soon.

I've been super busy here, and sort of forgot to update you all. I got it to work after I loaded it using a 32 bit computer instead of the 64 bit. Thank you all so much for the assistance.

I've run into a problem a few times when changing comms information in FTViewME where everything looked correct but the downloaded program couldn't communicate. Oddly, the fix was to open an object (like a button) in FTViewME and click the "..." in the connections tab next the value, then right click on the top folder in the comms folder structure on the left side of the window and refresh all the folders.

Then recreating the mer and downloading has comms working without issue.