You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 5th, 2018, 06:11 AM   #1
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Any way to power a CLX without AB power supplies?

I'm on an upgrade project now and the panel receives one Mains power and one UPS Power.

Considering this, I was thinking of putting two 24V Power supplies in parallel with a Diode Unit and create a redundant 24V power rail to power the CPU, IO block and network Switch.
But it seems like Control Logix doesn't have the option of providing 24V to the rack, all I find is a redundant Power Supply topology that will only power the rack and nothing else.

Anyone dealt with this in the past?
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:49 AM   #2
jstolaruk
United States

I believe there is a 5V supply in the backplane that you also have to take into consideration.
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:11 AM   #3
JohnCalderwood
Scotland

From the manual, it says:

Quote:
ControlLogix® power supplies are used with the 1756 chassis to provide 1.2V, 3.3V, 5V, and 24V DC power directly to
the chassis backplane. Standard, Slim, ControlLogix-XT™, and redundant power supplies are available.
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:19 AM   #4
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Thanks guys.
I think I needed a step out of the Siemens shell. The part I am looking for is a 24V power supply from Rockwell... meaning something that takes in 24V and creates everything else.
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #5
JohnCalderwood
Scotland

so....

is it something like this?

https://www.routeco.com/en-gb/shop/p...gix/1756-par2k

the 1756-par2k bundle appears to be 2 power supplies, cables and a plate that bolts on to the CLX rack.

never used it before....

(original one I quoted was the high temperature one...edited the part number now)

Last edited by JohnCalderwood; January 5th, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:39 AM   #6
cardosocea
United Kingdom

No, a part number that will do is 1756-PB72. This will take in 24Vdc and create the required voltages in the bus for the rack.

The 24Vdc for this PSU, can then be fed from an arrangement of two 240Vac->24Vdc supplies and a diode unit in between.

The confusion is that with Siemens, 24V go in directly to the PLC and I wasn't considering that I needed a power supply part number for the creation of all the other voltages... a brain **** basically.
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:49 AM   #7
JohnCalderwood
Scotland

fair enuff...

the CLX power supplies (1756-PXYY) can be AC (X=A) or DC (X=B) supplied, with different current ratings (Y=50/72/75)

but they also do the redundant kit for you too...with the PSUs, cables and connector to chassis (didn't know they had options for that, mind you...)
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Geospark
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardosocea
No, a part number that will do is 1756-PB72...
But that is just a single power supply. As John mentions, there are kit catalog numbers which contain everything you need.

For instance,

The 1756-PBR2 redundancy kit is the DC supplied version which included 2 x 1756-PB75R DC power supplies, 2 x 1756-CPR2 cables, and 1 x 1756-PSCA2 Chassis Adapter...

19828 - ControlLogix Redundant Power Supply Information (1756-PAR2 , 1756-PSCA2)
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:03 AM   #9
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

http://literature.rockwellautomation...g001_-en-p.pdf

Page 34, list all the redundant power supplies
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:04 AM   #10
JRW
United States

You in the AB world now...
grab that wallet

Sorry
I couldn’t resist
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #11
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geospark View Post
But that is just a single power supply. As John mentions, there are kit catalog numbers which contain everything you need.
I have a CLX Rack, couple of Flex IO nodes and a network switch that I want to power.
I have 240Vac Mains and 240Vac UPS Supply.

I can put a redundant PSU from Rockwell on the rack or as they advertise, but those two power supplies will power the rack only.

So if I want the network switch and the remote IO nodes powered from both supplies, I have to get yet another set of PSU's from Phoenix or wherever and a diode in between them.

Instead of 4 PSU's a diode unit, special rack and cabling from Rockwell, I can get away with 3 PSU's and a diode unit.

Edit:

One other consideration, only one of those PSU's will be from Rockwell... which will definitely ease the wallet side of things.

Last edited by cardosocea; January 5th, 2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Another cost consideration
Old January 5th, 2018, 03:32 PM   #12
Mike Lamond
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardosocea View Post
Instead of 4 PSU's a diode unit, special rack and cabling from Rockwell, I can get away with 3 PSU's and a diode unit.

Edit:

One other consideration, only one of those PSU's will be from Rockwell... which will definitely ease the wallet side of things.
That's how my last two ControlLogix systems were built, using redundant Phoenix power supplies and the diode module. Part of this is driven by arc flash protection and voltage separation requirements. The first system had two power supply enclosures, each with a Phoenix 40 amp power supply and fed from separate 120vac circuits, and a distribution enclosure to feed the redundant PLC and I/O distributed across nine enclosures. Total load is about 22 amps at 24vdc.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum