OT...World War 3? or the New World

Status
Not open for further replies.

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Because I think that there are some of the smartest people on the Internet right here on this site… I would like to ask a question and have a civilized response, no name-calling, finger pointing, but maybe some constructed criticism, and ideas of how to solve or just point of views…

Are we on the brink of World War 3 or are we already in it? Or is this just the new world and this is the way it’s going to be…

We have several things in the headlines that are very concerning to me
1...Iran trying to have nuclear capability
2...North Korea firing missiles (Iran taking part)
3...The global effort to abolish terror and the mayhem that some are trying to impose on our lives
4...The lose lose war in Iraq
5...Israel fighting Lebanon/Hezbollah
6...Ethiopia evades Somalia
7...Bla, Bla, Bla

I do think that the human race is smart enough now and have the ability to erase itself off the face of the earth..(nice thought)

Because this is really the only place that I have contact (day to day) with the boys and girls from the other side of the pond…. what are your thoughts on the thing that is in the US news (I’m sure that they are in your news as well)…Are we in World War 3?

But I do hope that there are several with the smarts and the ability, to stop the self-destruction.

Is it possible that we ever have peace? Probably not do to the fact that there are greedy people everywhere

I know that the US and the old Russia came very close to dumping it all, a lot of the people don’t know or realize how close, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Three Scroll down to historical close calls, its a very interesting read...

To all of my US friends, what do you think? Is this another news propaganda?, TV and radio wants people to watch or listen more…so they through up false hypes? Just to try and get the ratings.

I also realize that in some of these places they have been fighting since the beginning of time and no matter what we do, they will continue that way of life or death.

I think Hezbollah started this intentionally hoping that Iran and Syria would join in. Thank God our troops are right across the border in case they are needed. I hope it does not come to that.

It would not surprise me to see Israel to attack Syria or Iran if they find ongoing proof of their invovlement.

It also seems that Hezbollah could get a cease fire by releasing the 2 soldiers, but they seem to have another agenda.

Mark, I have not forgot about calling you but I have been in Georgia doing a startup. I will call when I get back.

geniusintraining said:
...Are we on the brink of World War 3 or are we already in it? Or is this just the new world and this is the way it’s going to be..

I believe this is the way it's going to be for the time being. There are many things that could be done to bring about peace. However, there are no signs that any of our leaders are open minded enough to truly pursue them.

There was a point during the Iraq war, right after Saddam was captured, at which we should have stripped the entire country of it's weapons except for sticks and rocks. Sure, it would have taken 3-5 times as many troops to accomplish. Meanwhile, we should have set up peaceful camps surrounding the entire country. Then we should have isolated and protected them from outside deviants and let them battle it out, (with words and sticks and stones) while we bombarded them with brotherhood from the outside edges with as little interference as possible. That means give them bare necessities, food, hard workers, technical capabilities and compassion. Not soldiers buzzing through their streets day and night. America was a wild and dangerous place for decades after the American Revolution. It's humorous that some of our leaders thought they could "build a nation" in a few years. Nature must take it's course. Human nature and culture is no exception.

How big a factor would the Middle East be, as a whole, without our dependence on fossil fuels? Would Iran have any possibility of creating WMD if we had switched to cellulosic ethanol 30 years ago? Would Saddam Hussein have ever acheived power worthy of our attention if the middle east were not the source of most of our energy needs?

And while I am what iffing: What if Reagan had gotten the SDI passed? Then we could have vaporized these nut case individuals from space. AND North Korea's IBMs would not be a factor at all.
We could just burn up the missiles with lasers in a few seconds.

How many billion$ have we spent on war over fossil fuels, and how many hydrogen gas stations would that have funded?

Notice the woulda coulda shouldas? It's all pointless until good leaders rise from the ashes and take the world into a better future with a long term vision that places the good of all humanity ahead of the short term desires of individual countries.

If other cultures could get a taste of real America, they would not hate us. We should really, honestly withdraw our funds, our resources, and especially our soldiers from the wildest parts of the globe and let the uncivilized world die out without our help. Many cultures only see our agressive, warlike, and greedy facets. They never see our freedom, spirit, creativity, and love.

JMHO

Last edited:
Rather than WW III I'd have to say its WW .5 continued. Tit for tat this has been going on for at least 3000 years in one form or another. The worse thing is that greed is not at the heart of this, religion is. Extremists on all sides are never content until total elimination of the other beliefs. It is much easier to die for one's beliefs/ideals than for a piece of gold.

The sad thing is that the large majority of people caught on all sides are against violence, and violent action by nature. It only takes a few fools to push a sensitive situation over the brink. Once pushed, we have the results we are seeing today, all over the world.

Who is to say that the US has any more right to have nukes than Iran/Korea? Do Americans fear the thought of Iranian/Korean nukes? You bet, with good reason. Israel and Japan would most likely be the primary targets, then the US, France, Russia, and the rest of Europe, Great Brittan, and Northern Africa would join the fray in short order.

With the cold war, both the Americans and the Soviets had decent self control. Both sides were very close to launching. Somehow good sense prevailed. I would hate to be in that situation again. With zealots at the wheel I doubt good sense would prevail. The result would be bad, plain and simple.

With power comes grave responsibility. The end of WW II taught the US just how grave the responsibility can be.

Its the same old stuff that has been going on since cave man times.
That's not to say its not worrying, but war and troubles seem to go in cycles.
Why I think WW3 is not occuring, and will not start is that the "enemy" is rather isolated internationally. For the most part, the major governments who are giving the US trouble are only trying to take it down a peg or two while they have the opportunity. None of these major governments want the "enemy" to win, and not one will go to war on its behalf.

As for a few minor governments that are on the wrong side of the sanity border and are developing nukes, this is my biggest fear in the entire conflict. These powers seem to have the idea that victory is destroying one western city, even if it means the distruction of their own country. The resolution of this problem will likely involve severe unpleasantness.
The worst outcome would be a small number of nukes going off. While avoiding this is a high priority, it will not cause the destruction of civilisation or humanity.

We are living in interesting times, but not as interesting as our grandparent's times.

BTW, my bet is that this thread will get heated, it is almost un-avoidable.

Last edited:
I sense a lot of editing if this thread stays open. :unsure:

So... let's keep this a peaceful place and close this topic.

Enjoy,

Status
Not open for further replies.