RSview-online tags missing-device shortcut not usable- Need Help!

brettdawnj

I have a RSview Studio application that I wrote a while back. Recently the panelview plus died at my customer, and I had to change the logix board and Compact Flash as it was corrupt. When I did the install of the new parts, the company also asked me to change the IP addresses of the Compactlogix PLC and the Panelview Plus as their network structures changed. Now when I call up RSview on my PC, when I start up the application, I get a red X and the following message:

"Device Shortcut 'compactlogicplc' is not usable: the device '1789-A17 Virtual Chassis.Terex_Andon_RT_Cranes' is not available, error=$80070057"

Does anyone know what this message really means? The application runs and doesn't have any errors that I can tell. I can also run the application in the "Test Application" mode and on my laptop, the test version of ME runs and it calls up the data fine. But, when I try to change or see tag information in my development mode, I can not call up the on line file as I used to. Before I could browse tags and choose which one I want to use. Now I must copy a tag text out of RSLogix and paste it in where I want it in RSView. These tags show up as functional and the data is correct for what is in the PLC.

For me it appears that somehow I have a setting or corruption in RSLinx Enterprise and it will not let me call up tags in an on-line mode. I may be off base on this, but everything else seems to work. I have even been able to call up online tags with AB's "Tag Upload Download Tool" with out any problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the online tags start working in my application?

Thanks,

Brett

Its a pain to change the IP on the system.
First change the address on the PLC.
Then you need to open the original development files, change the PV+ IP address then rebrowse the processor with the changed ip.

Create a new MER file and download to PV+...

You wouldnt believe how many people just try to change the address in the PV+ config screen instead of in the project.

Basically, I did what you have recommended... but it took me a while. My problem isn't that my application in the Panelview doesn't run, but I can not call up "on-line tags" in the RSView any more. Not sure if the issue was changing IP addresses or something else, but I can no longer search an on-line tag file to find the addresses I would like to change in my application.

Here is what works properly:
RSME Station application on the Panelview Plus
RSME "Test Application" on the development computer
AB Tag Upload and Download Utility on the development computer

Here is what DOESN'T work:
RSView Studio on-line tags... I can not get the on-line tags to show up. If I click on the "..." area of the tag connection screens to call up the tag browser and the system just freezes. I thought if I would just wait, it may call up the tag browser with some delay. But many minutes later, it is just frozen on this screen and you can not get out of this (hitting OK or cancel does nothing... you must first hit escape and then you can proceed on).

So this is why I was suspecting it maybe some issue on how RSLinx Enterprises is set up? How can I direct the online tags to properly go to the PLC I need? I have already proven that the "Local" and the "Target" is set up correctly (this is known by the fact that the Applicaton pulls the data from the PLC and also that the "Test Application" works here on my local PC as it pulls the data from the PLC on the factory floor. The fact that I can get tags and data from many sources, excluding the "online tag browsing" in RSView Studio, has me really confused.
Any suggestions?

Sounds like a bad Local shortcut definition

The "Test Application" mode on the development PC works because it uses the Target shortcut definition, same as the Runtime does on the PV+ terminal.

You need to redefine the Local shortcut. That long browse timeout (it's not really a lockup, just a very long delay) indicates that RSLinx Enterprise is trying to connect to a controller it cannot connect to.

I usually delete all the child nodes on the Ethernet driver in RSLinx Enterprise, and let the software rebrowse for them. If you have added or modified any of your TCP/IP adapters you may need to configure the driver itself (right-click) to use the currently connected network adapter.

One more detail; the Tag Upload/Download utility uses RSLinx Classic, not RSLinx Enterprise, so it doesn't have a bearing on this troubleshooting.

The Online browse (and the browsing of Offline tags when a controller is not present) has a long and colorful history in RSLinx Enterprise and RSView Studio. The long online timeout was fixed, broken, then fixed again in patches to v4. You can quickly browse offline tags even when a shortcut isn't defined in the Local tab in the new FactorTalk View Studio v5 release.... which is a couple days away.

I'm all tingly.

Thanks for the clarification Ken, it is helping my understanding. When you refer to deleting the network in the Local, are you refering to RSView Studio or RSLinx Enterprise. I think I can only access RSView Studio. I have tried before to delete this and rebuild the network from scratch and it didn't make any difference.

Also, I am assuming you are referring to the communication set up screens that have a local and target tab. This is where I have deleted the various items listed, and then rebuilt them from scratch.

What about the "Network and Devices" section under the lower "System" folder. In this I get more of a look of what is in RSLinx. Do I need to be concerned with this at all? Could it be affecting my problem? In this area, I can not delete anything.

Finally, there is a communications tab at the bottom of the Explorer screen. What is the difference in this vs the RSLinx Enterprise screed with the local and target tabs. Do I also need to delete it here? I have also tried this and then it forces you to re-establish your local and target tabs as the program won't work.

Bottom line is I just deleted them off in the local and target tabs... and it works in the "Test Application Mode", but when I click on the ... "tag browse" button, it still just freezes. Any additional suggestions?

Thanks so much for your support and ideas. Brett

last step; apply shortcut

One of the things that can be confusing about RSLinx Enterprise is that it doesn't have its own GUI like RSLinx Classic does. You can only configure it from within RSView Studio.

In the RSView Studio project explorer, expand the RSLinx Enterprise item and double-click the Communications Configuration item. This launches the principal GUI for RSLinx Enterprise.

Select your shortcut on the left side. Select your controller on the right side.

If the "Apply" button becomes available (black text), this means that the shortcut and the controller are not associated with one another. Click the Apply button, and then the OK button.

Thanks for the clarification to where RSLinx Enterprise is accessed. The last step Ken asked me to do is to accept the shortcut. I did that in each case (I think if you don't, the MEStudio in the panelview won't run and the "test application" in RSView Studio won't run).

My case is that both of these run fine, but still the tag browser in RSView Studio will not run when I click on the "..." in a tag areas. Before, it would come up with a tree on the left and you could right click on it to either expand or refresh the data if my memory serves me correctly. Now, I only get a perminate wait and the tag choices never come up.

I can't figure out how RSLinx Enterprise can get the data to the panelview and the "test application" screens, but it won't open in the tag browser mode. Any ideas on what to do next?

Brett