Powerflex 525 Ethernet/IP Control Question

scarince

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on a 525. It's configured for ethernet/IP, and I can jog it through the HMI.

My question is about the I/O tags in the logic. In the 2 manuals I've searched, I cannot find any description regarding how the drive wants to see the inputs driven (maintained, pulsed, etc) or how they are to be used together.

For example, does a direction ("FWD" or "Rev") need to be selected at the same time as "Jog" or before that input is turned on?

Other examples would be for the "proper" use of Start and Stop. As I said, I can apparently run the drive but I want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Has anyone seen a document with some more specific detail on the proper application of the I/O?

Note that I used the AOP so I have the full tags, just no clear information on how they want to be driven.

Thx!

There have been a lot of threads posted about PF525 drives on this forum, so you should be able to find more info searching around. But from what i remember, to start the drive you need to hold in the "start" tag until the "drive active" tag becomes true. To stop the drive, you hold in the "stop" tag until the "active" tag goes false. As far as direction, I believe you can just hold in forward or reverse as needed. This is all coming from memory, so hopefully someone will chime in on confirm or deny my information.

Thanks for your reply.

I did see some of those threads, but I really wanted to find the documentation that covers everything. It seems like it must exist and that I must be missing something. I think I dug into the manuals for both the drive and for the ethernet adapter pretty deeply but I just can't find anything really specific or definitive and that seems strange.

I'm working on a 525. It's configured for ethernet/IP, and I can jog it through the HMI.

My question is about the I/O tags in the logic. In the 2 manuals I've searched, I cannot find any description regarding how the drive wants to see the inputs driven (maintained, pulsed, etc) or how they are to be used together.

For example, does a direction ("FWD" or "Rev") need to be selected at the same time as "Jog" or before that input is turned on?

Other examples would be for the "proper" use of Start and Stop. As I said, I can apparently run the drive but I want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Has anyone seen a document with some more specific detail on the proper application of the I/O?

Note that I used the AOP so I have the full tags, just no clear information on how they want to be driven.

Thx!
I think maybe your basic premise has a conflict: you are mixing the concept of controlling over the Network with control via hardwired I/O on the drive. They are mutually exclusive in that you must TELL the drive if it is being controlled by hard wired I/O, OR being controlled by the network.

If being controlled by the network using tags, there is no "momentary or maintained". You give it a status, it stays that way until you give it another status.

The manual for the VFD points you to the manual for the Ethernet I/P "adapter" (which is built-in to a 525).

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/520com-um001_-en-e.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I did see some of those threads, but I really wanted to find the documentation that covers everything. It seems like it must exist and that I must be missing something. I think I dug into the manuals for both the drive and for the ethernet adapter pretty deeply but I just can't find anything really specific or definitive and that seems strange.

You will need to set the direction via the control word. If FWD and REV are both false I'm pretty sure it goes in the direction last selected. Depending on the application I disable the REV by keep the bit false in the code. Treat the bits like buttons, program the start/stop to not overlap. One thing I do with the 525's is monitor the .Active bit and use it as permissives for start/stop since the 525's can be flakey sometimes.

The way I control PF525's is as follows:
- Hold on the forward or reverse bits as long as I want the motor to run
- When I want the motor to run, I give it a Start command, and hold in this start command until I see the "active" bit come on
- When I want the motor to stop, turn on the Stop command and hold it in until I see the active command drop out
- If I want to jog the motor, I hold on the forward or reverse commands and the jog command for as long as I want to jog it.

This method works for me, you could always try different things as far as not giving it the direction reference and seeing which way it goes if you have some time to play with it!

Last edited:
3 items to check

525 is safe-off drive. You need to utilize that in your design strategy, or install shorting jumpers

If your design is purely Ethernet/IP, you still need to hardware jumper digital input terminals 1-11

Lastly, if you are using the sole embedded Ethernet port, then yes configure start source, and frequency command to Ethernet..... but if you are using add on optional DLR dual port Ethernet com option, the set start command to "Network Option"

Good points plastic, all quite important. The other thing to be aware of if using safe stop is parameter t105. By default if the safe torque off is de-energised (i.e. an emergency stop is pressed), the drive will fault. If you're actually using safe torque off this is not ideal - you don't want all of your drives to fault just because the safety circuit dropped out.