rslogix 500 program knowledge needed

Hi stu,

Can I ask a simple "directional" question here?...

stu said:
...If i wanted to have a button info on/off in a recipe could i use a spare F number (f34:13 ) is it possible to do this ??...

...is it possible to use F data as a binary as b bits 1/0, then I can still use the recipe float spares for a on/off button...

...So have a b3:1/0 xic could mov 0 to F34:13
And B3:1/0 xio could move 10 into F34:13

But that wouldn’t be turn the button on in the recipe,would it ?
Could we do an expression b3:1/0 = 1 then F34:13 =10 else b3:1/0= 0...

Are you trying to press a button on your "screen" (HMI I assume?) and want it to execute a binary instruction in the controller, via a Float?

Or...

Are you trying to execute a binary instruction in the controller and want a Float to communicate that binary result to a button object in a HMI application for say, visibility, or change of button text?

If it happened to be the latter, then your post's title might read better as...

"<My HMI> program knowledge needed"

In other words, you may need to know more here about how the (assumed) HMI button object's feature set can interpret, or not, the Float data type?

Regards,
George

On our mixer we have recipes using floats for weights which get saved against recipe numbers
We have an issue where we use silo flour on some recipes and others we use bag flour ? Which we use a switch on the panel to turn from silo to bag flour ,Which we are trusting the operator to switch across ?
We would like to use the recipe to switch from bag to silo flour , hense wanting to use the float??
Thanks stu

OK,

So when you are entering the recipe data on the "screen" (still no mention of a HMI or what it is exactly - PanelView?) you would now like to be able to also press a button to say: "Silo Flour" or "Bag Flour"? And that selection must be communicated, from the button object being pressed, to the controller using a spare Float?

Am I reading you correctly now?

G.

stu said:
...Panelview plus 700

Thanks!

Geospark said:
...Am I reading you correctly now?...

:oops: ???

Assuming so,

In your PanelView Plus 700 application, add a momentary button, for instance, and on the "General" tab for its properties select "Value" under "Button settings". Then go to the "States" tab and now you should see that the "Value" field is editable.

For "State 0" on the left leave the Value at "0". Type in the "Caption" you'd like for "State 0" - Silo Flour - let's say?

Then select "State 1" and change the "Value" to "10", for instance (if keeping with the previous posters assertions that evaluating a Float as "10" will be more distinct than "1"). Also type the required "Caption" for "State 1" - Bag Flour - let's say?

Now go to the "Connections" tab and in the "Value" field type the direct PLC reference address for the spare Float - {::[PLC]F34:13}
Where PLC represents the actual name of your PLC shortcut under the RSLinx Enterprise "Communications Setup". If not sure, you can also copy this PLC shortcut addressing syntax from an existing reference in the properties of another object on the recipe screen, that is already writing to one of the Float addresses.

Make sure nothing else is already assigned in the application to read or write from this spare Float address. Then create your application file and transfer to the terminal and test.

You don't have to use the Float address for anything yet in the controller. Just see first if this achieves your goal of getting two different, but repeatable states in the Float address in the controller?

Regards,
George

George your a star , that sounds like the solutions, so when I change the recipe and call a bag flour recipe the 10 would be in the f34:13 float and turn the button on ?
Is that right
I really appreciate your help
Stu

stu said:
George your a star , that sounds like the solutions, so when I change the recipe and call a bag flour recipe the 10 would be in the f34:13 float and turn the button on ?
Is that right
I really appreciate your help
Stu

Effectively, yes.

The HMI button is explicitly selecting whether the recipe, that you are currently inputting data for, will require Silo Flour or Bag Flour. If the above works then you can evaluate the Float value in the controller, as outlined earlier in the thread, and the result of the evaluation can precondition your Flour selection logic - B3:1/0 true or false, for instance.

Note: The suggestion to use a Momentary Button was just an example button object type to test the value of the Float in the controller and was not considered to be the de facto method you should use here. Holding the Momentary Button should write a value of "10" to the Float address, but releasing it will return the Float value to "0". If you continue to use the Momentary Button, then you would have to handle the retention of the State 1 Float value in the controller before releasing the button. Also, even if you programmatically retain the State 1 value in the controller, releasing the HMI button will revert the button to State 0, and so change the Caption back to Silo Flour, which would now be incorrect as you have just retained the Bag Flour value in the controller.

Not the best way to achieve the task here.

If you want to always and only manually select which Flour type is required then a Maintained Button might be the better option. Here, when you press the button the State 1 value of "10" is written to the Float. When you release the button, the State 1 value is retained indefinitely. When the button is pressed again, the State 0 value of "0" is once again written to the Float. This way, the selection will always be for one or the other Flour type until the user explicitly changes the selection again. Also, the Caption for the selections will always be displayed correctly - Silo Flour or Bag Flour.

If, alternatively, you would prefer to have a third State which represents no selection, say at the end of a batch, and then require a new selection for the next recipe, then it gets a little bit trickier, but doable, all the same, I reckon.

Regards,
George

Hi George
I tried the button with the value and it looks like it is going to work ,
I have attached a picture of the screen shot that I was testing today to se your thoughts , I’ve used a maintained switch with image attached to it ,I’m getting the 0 and 10 in to the display I just need to test the data being transferred to the recipe number once it’s been saved ?
Thanks for your help stu

6D5980B2-F1EE-4F89-946B-0D1296BFC477.jpg

stu,

That's good that the value option is working for you.

Perhaps the buttom object is a little on the large side in relation to all the other objects on the display? But if you need it big or can afford the space, then it's fine other than that.

I am also curious - after each recipe selection on the left, is the display switching between different displays? Also, how is the data populated in the objects on the recipe display? Do you just manually enter data into numeric input objects? Is it using any Global Objects or parameters? You have a "lot" of displays in that application. I'm just curious if it could be better consolidated using features I've just mentioned or even recipe specific options that are available for this type of application.

You also have a "lot" of Data Files and/or routines in the program. Are these all for storing different recipes or what?

Have you evaluated the Float value in the controller yet, and if so, have you used the result in the intended logic yet? Is it working?

Regards,
George

Last edited: