Micrologix 1400 .DAT security file

arocha06

Two PLC's: Micrologix 1400 and Compact Logix L35.

I was given .DAT files for each controller which i assumed was to unlock source protection on the files. However I can not determine how to use the .DAT file associated with the 1400 controller. Does the 1400 file first need to be converted to .l5k (RS 500 to 5000) and then import the .dat file? Or is there a use for .dat files in RSlogix 500 that I am not aware of? In short, can this .dat file be used to import comments/descriptions?

.DAT is a Database Lock file for RSLogix 500, but I've never seen it provided separately from the *.RSS file.

There is no .DAT file extension that I am aware of for RSLogix 5000 controllers or software. The security key file for RSLogix 5000 has a *.SK extension.

Usually, all the files for an SLC or MicroLogix controller project are bundled up and contained inside the *.RSS file. That filetype is really just a specialized archive file, so that you don't have to haul around a dozen little related files like you did back in the DOS days.

If you do want to export and import comments and descriptions in RSLogix 500, you can use the RSLogix 500 native format or the formats compatible with the old DOS software. That's all sort of a mess... the rung comments, instruction comments, and symbol table are all kept in different files (.ERP, .EIC, and .EAS, respectively).

What was the intent of this *.DAT file ?

I was given the .dat file by the former programming company. When I asked for the rss files he only replied with "you have everything" (perhaps disgruntled). I am somewhat new to RSlogix 500 & 5000 so assumed I could download the programs from the controllers and then use the .dat files to import all the language. This has not been working out

Eddie Willers said:
...The security key file for RSLogix 5000 has a *.SK extension.

Not quite Eddie...

The Logix controllers, (CompactLogix, ControlLogix) provide Source Protection for Routines and Add-On Instructions (AOI). The RS5KSrcPT.exe tool enables and configures the feature in RSLogix 5000. An sk.dat file (source key) is created and stored in a user defined location. All source keys for the project are stored in this file. Without the source key, a user may not be able to access, or edit the protected content, yada, yada, yada.

For SLC/MicroLogix controllers, Data File Protection is provided. This is done under the properties for the Data File and can be set to Constant, Static, None, Etc., depending on the processor. You can also use the Locked Ladder File feature with the MicroLogix 1400. First set a password for the Subroutines under Controller Properties>Passwords. Then under the properties for a Ladder File (Subroutine) select View Disable. Now when the Subroutine is attempted to be opened, a password prompt is enabled.

I don't know of any *.DAT file that is used for Source Protection for the MicroLogix 1400?

Eddie Willers said:
.DAT is a Database Lock file for RSLogix 500, but I've never seen it provided separately from the *.RSS file.

I have, but it's a remnant of older versions, back as far as RSLogix v3.xx. Although it is mentioned in the RSLogix 500 help files, I can't say for sure if it's still used in any shape or form today? There was a multi-user feature where the address descriptions and rung comments, etc., were stored at a global database location that each user could access as they edited online. Perhaps this *.DAT file is an unlock file only, to give a user access to that database, and does not actually contain any database information at all?

You may only have the raw *.RSS files to work with I suspect?

Regards,
George

I stand corrected ! That was mostly from memory, and clearly not very good memory.

An RSLogix 5000 security file has nothing to do with the documentation for a MicroLogix 1400 controller.

The original programmer is clearly being un-cooperative. He needs to send you the *.RSS files.