Firmware Upgrade of PV Plus to Ver 6

chavak

Hi,

After download a PV application to a new PVP 700 terminal the HMI was unable to run, it shows wrong version loaded. By checking the firmware version, it was version 5 where my application was created with Version 6. I know I can create a Ver.5 mer application file and download, but customer wanted version 6.

So I downloaded the firmware upgrade from Rockwell site, created a Compact Flash card with the firmware upgrade in it and inserted to the terminal. But the terminal shows an error message "Unable to run the autorun file" 0x0000047. Although I tried to reset the terminal or power cycle, it still give the same error message.

Then I thought of running the upgrade direct from the PC, but directing the path to the FUPs folder, RS View application is unable to display any firmware application in the combobox below. I reinstalled the firmware upgrade, just in case my first attempt was not good, the results were same.

Anybody come across this situation, Please help.

Best Regards

PanelView Plus v6 firmware requires the newer PV+6 logic modules.

You cannot load PanelView Plus v6 firmware onto an older v3/v4/v5 Logic Module.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to upgrade the terminal to version 5.10 and create the runtime *.MER file for that version.

If your customer absolutely requires PV+ v6, they will have to buy a whole new terminal or a new Logic Module that supports PV+ v6.

Hi,

After download a PV application to a new PVP 700 terminal the HMI was unable to run, it shows wrong version loaded. By checking the firmware version, it was version 5 where my application was created with Version 6. I know I can create a Ver.5 mer application file and download, but customer wanted version 6.

So I downloaded the firmware upgrade from Rockwell site, created a Compact Flash card with the firmware upgrade in it and inserted to the terminal. But the terminal shows an error message "Unable to run the autorun file" 0x0000047. Although I tried to reset the terminal or power cycle, it still give the same error message.

Then I thought of running the upgrade direct from the PC, but directing the path to the FUPs folder, RS View application is unable to display any firmware application in the combobox below. I reinstalled the firmware upgrade, just in case my first attempt was not good, the results were same.

Anybody come across this situation, Please help.

Best Regards

If the PV+ had FW ver 5 running on it, then that means that it is not a PV+ 6 terminal. Version 6.0 is a firmware upgrade, but it will not work on the older PV+ terminals. It refers to the newest line of Allen-Bradley HMI's, the "Panelview Plus 6". From the FUW page of the Rockwell website, version 5.10 CPR 6 SR 9 is the latest firmware upgrade available for the older PV+'s.
If the customer wants ver 6.0, then he's going to have to get out the checkbook, simple as that. I can't speak from experience, because I haven't worked with one of these latest and greatest panelviews yet, but I hear that they are better machines with more ram and a more stable OS. I do know they cost mucho dinero, though.

I'm surprised that the customer is specifying version 6 but isn't aware that he is asking for another piece of hardware. Hopefully attempting the FUW v6.0 on the older terminal didn't harm anything...since you got the "unable to run the autorun file" message, then probably not.

Ken Roach said:
If your customer absolutely requires PV+ v6, they will have to buy a whole new terminal or a new Logic Module that supports PV+ v6.

I wasn't aware that one could do that. Is the Logic Module a part that an end-user can swap out, or does a dealer have to do it? Is it a very significant savings over the cost of another terminal?

PV+ v6 hardware and application compatibility: Knowledgebase Article ID #116376

PV+ Display Module compatibility with PV+ v6 Logic Modules: Knowledgebase Article ID #115612

In short, some of the newer PV+ v5.x display modules can be connected to a PV+ v6 logic module because they use the same newer 8-wire touchscreen interface circuitry.

This is for the PV+ 700/1000/1250/1500 terminals (the only ones for which there is a V6 version) because the Logic Module and Display Module connect with just six screws. The older, smaller PV+ 600/400 terminals are unitary design.

Last edited:
Thank you Ken for the info. PV+ as usual comes with surprises.
I guess the customer have to fork out extra $$ if they insist on Ver 6.

As bmacattack33 mentioned, I hope my terminal is still function if I load a V5 mer file.

Best Regards