rslogix demo software or manuals...?

REZAR

Dear all, please help me,...
i must study about this rockwell software, b'cos for next 2 month i have to modify a machines that have an AB plc.

all i need is rough knowledge for this rslogix.
for instace how to upload, download, online edit, offline edit, edit comment, I/O configuration of AB plc, memory area, etc.
i had try to download some demo soft from rockwell site, but nothing.

any suggestion how can i get manuals or something about this AB and Rslogix....?

this is first time i get involed with AB.

On this page: http://www.ab.com/logix/controllogix/index.html there is a link to a demo version of RSLogix 5000. I have never tried to DL it, so no idea how functional it is. If I am in your shoes, I would buy the software package right NOW and get the actual program so to study it.

There is also a demo CD from Rockwell as well. It got the demo program and the manuals. Call your local distributor to see if you can get one. All the manuals can be downloaded Here

So, what's your PLC experience?

Thank you Harryting....

i had download rs500demo.zip and rs2kl500demo.exe
but none of them can help me.
also i still cant find what iam looking for with your link ( search for manuals ).
buying is investing, and my company wont investing on rslogix since we are Japanese company that uses omron or mitsubishi plc oftenly.

and yes, my experience is only omron, mitsubishi.

please give another idea.......

REZAR,

why doesnt the two demo softwares help you ?

To get manuals, go to AB/Rockwell Manuals. browse to "Software" .. "Programming and design".
There are some "getting results" guides that should get you on the way.
Also, browse to the "Programmable Controller" that you have to program, you need the hardware specs as well as the manual for the software.

Anyhow, if your company dont want to spend money for the software, how do they expect you to be able to do anything ?

edit: Oh, I see that my link is the same as harryting's.

Last edited:
sorry guys, the "getting result" term is dark to me for once.
i am hangin'on "user manual" term.
thanks JesperMP.

anyhow???.........??
they are expecting a huge effort from me, while they pay me as a senior high school skill. at lease that is what i feel.

thanks once more guys,...
i am sorry if my english is NG.

oh, you should try to DL the demo software. little hard to me to explain why it doesnt help me.

Great regards,
reza

I think the demo you have downloaded is just a Powerpoint presentation of the software. If I'm right, you can download the demo software at this link:

Software Updates Page

Choose RSLogix500 and then Submit.

Choose RSLogix 500 Starter for 10 Point MicroLogix 1000 Programming Software .

If you are not registered to the Rockwell website you will be asked to register. Now you will be entitled to download the demo.
The software is fully functional but can only be used with the MicroLogix 1000 10 Points.

AB software

1. Do google search on RSlogix 500 starter.

That will give you ability to get to Rockwell site to download the software.

You can also drop by your friendly Allen Bradley dealer and he may download onto a CD for you - tht is what I did.

It is only for the 10 point unit (6 ins 4 outs)

BUT it is free

I looked very briefly at the demo software so will not comment on it.

I fail to see how they can expect you to do the job with no tools.

Don't worry about the English - it is good enough to get the idea across.

Dan Bentler

it seems as though you've only a couple of options then. if your company won't buy the A-B software for your plc, then your going to be forced to either buy it yourself, or change the system in your machine to a plc that you have the software for. both options can be expensive, both in time and money, and starting out with new, unfamilar programming software will also present you with a pretty steep learning curve. sounds like you've been put in a "no-win" position. isn't there an engineering dept. in your company with perhaps a sympathetic ear or two to help you? i'm going through the same thing in my company, but, at least, they are willing to listen to my needs, (for now, anyway).

grouch

harryting said:
link to a demo version of RSLogix 5000. I have never tried to DL it, so no idea how functional it is.
It's fully functional, it just reverts to program after three hours of run mode.

Go to the literature library and search for this document:

1747-RM001 (SLC 500 Instruction Set Reference Manual.

The search engine will show you a number of matches; look for the latest revision (i.e. C, D, etc) and the language you want it in (-EN, english for example). You should be able to download it.

RS LOGIX 500 starter

It's fully functional, it just reverts to program after three hours of run mode.

Doug P.

What is the 3 hour reversion all about??
Can you expand on your above statement please??

I ask for two reasons - we have it at school - maybe I have not hit the 3 hour limit but it has worked fine so far.

Also I have it with the idea of using it at home doing homeword and keeping lab time to a minimum.

While I am at it --
I understand it is only for the 10 point unit.

BUT can I take a RS LOGIX 500 starter file and load it into RS LOGIX (??) for the larger units and will the other program recognize it??

Thanks
Dan Bentler

back to REZAR's original problem ...

ok ... let’s slow down for a second, folks ... back to our new friend REZAR and his original problem ... just which RSLogix are we talking about here? ... RSLogix5 ... RSLogix500 ... RSLogix5000 ... ? ...

REZAR, if you NEED RSLogix500, then there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to try to download RSLogix5000 ... it won’t help you ... it will only confuse you ...

now ... to figure out exactly which software package you DO need, you’ve GOT to know what hardware you’ll be dealing with ... and so far, you haven’t even mentioned that absolutely critical piece of the puzzle ... you said it’s Allen-Bradley ... but that’s about all ...

so ... we know that it’s an Allen-Bradley brand – but which one is it? ... PLC-5 “classic” ... PLC-5 “enhanced” ... SLC-500 “fixed” ... SLC-500 “modular” ... MicroLogix1000 ... MicroLogix1200 ... MicroLogix1500? ... ControlLogix ... or something else? ... or even a combination of different processors? ...

REZAR, you need to give us a detailed list of exactly what hardware you’ll be dealing with ... different processors require different software ... and different books ... and different communications cables ... one size does NOT fit all in this business ...

and another thing ... besides software, you’re going to need some type of communications cables to connect to the processors ... some of these things you can pick up for $10 at Radio Shack ... but others are $1500 to $2000 setups ... again, we need a list of what hardware you’ll be dealing with in order to help you with this part of the project ...

but just to get the ball rolling ... here are some examples of what we can offer you in the way of documentation ... I’ll assume (gosh I hate that word) that you’ll be using the SLC-500 modular hardware system ...

in that case, here are some books that I’d recommend to get you started ...

RSLogix500 Getting Results Guide

this 100 page manual tells how to navigate (drive) the software ... it is the printed “user manual” that is shipped with the software ... the only other “how to use the software” material is included in the software’s online help feature ...

SLC-500 Instruction Set - Reference Manual

this 648 page manual tells how things like timers, counters, etc. work within the ladder logic program ...

SLC-500 Modular Hardware Style - User Manual

this 291 page manual tells how the most popular styles of SLC-500 hardware systems fit together ...

now after all of that has been said ... let me say this ...

GIVE UP! ...

seriously ... if your company will not invest the money for the equipment required to do this job, then I don’t see how it can be done correctly ... let’s just suppose for a minute that you COULD download a handy “demo” version of the software that you need ... what are you going to use once the “demo” phase of the project is over – and it’s time to actually connect to the PLC processors? ... the chances of using a free “demo” version of software all the way through the project are just about ZERO ... in short, my new friend, it looks like you are just setting yourself up for failure down the road ... personally, I don’t see any way for you to come out of this project looking like a hero ...

as for your statement:
all i need is rough knowledge for this rslogix. for instace how to upload, download, online edit, offline edit, edit comment, I/O configuration of AB plc, memory area, etc.
you have no idea just how dangerous that sounds ... depending on what types of machines and processes are being controlled by these PLCs, you could make a SERIOUS mess of things by having just a “rough” knowledge of this particular subject ... even if no one gets physically hurt, the potential cost in damaged machinery and wasted product could be staggering – especially to a company which is strapped so tight that they can’t even afford to pay for the software you need ...

but finally ... if you still want to continue on with this project, then give us some more details about the hardware involved ... I for one, will be more than willing to give you whatever help I can ... but just don’t say that we didn’t warn you ... this project sounds like 40 miles of bad road – leading to a dead end – with no room to turn around ...

Last edited:
WHICH UNIT

REZAR
This stuff is complicated and can be overwhelming when you are just starting out.

I am just learning too. I tried on my own and decided to spend the money on school. Am studying Allen Bradley. We have the small Micrologix unit (6 ins and 4 outs) and we haver the larger Micrologix unit (1761 L16 AWA - I think). We have two different sets of software to support the two units.

SO
there are MANY AB PLCs with differing software.

What they want to know is WHICH UNIT

SO
Somewhere on unit will be a sticker.
ON the sticker will be a number like
1761 L16 AWA

There is other stuff on sticker (don't have unit in front of me) BUT the number above should give enough information to them.

Write the above number and the other stuff down and send it to them.

THEN they know what you have and know what to do.

Dan Bentler

Dear all Mr.Nice guys,

unfortunately i just informed that next 2 month i had to modify mechanical and electrical design and function. and the plc is AB.

how helpfully information i got isnt it?...

yes, i had to manage my time. for the next 2 month i have to had basic knowledge for AB plc. ( while im involved with new design project for mechanical and electrical ).
and when the time is come, i had to modify the mechanical and for the last short time i will modify the electric and soft.

besides all difficulties i have, i would try to think that every plc have same way to operate and to design soft,.... is't correct??

i dont know when and or how my company will provide me with the real rslogix ( i mean is the right soft ).

but still i have to study the soft and hard, until then.

thank you very much for giving me those priceless information my friends.

ps.
i love this forum.
any idea at where i can find a forum like this for windows or networking??