HELP!!! Silver suitcase test

Bonn2424

I am looking for some help to familiarize myself with some components for a "suitcase test” that i will take next week to become an apprentice electrical technician at a major company. If hired i will receive top notch training for the position but i must do better than quite a few others. My question is: Can you provide any info on how i can use wiring diagram to determine which wires are in the wrong ports on a type of makeshift control panel?

…this will be a test that has one wire intentionally in the wrong slot. it has a few components, one of which is a relay(I’m not sure about the others, but they look similar to what you see inside a control panel. Im given a wiring diagram and asked to locate this wire and correct it, which should then power on a motherboard fan to signify completion.

Again, this is called a “suitcase test” and has 4 panels inside a large suitcase with 4 different tasks to complete in 30 minutes or so.

just to add info:

panel 1 is : wire a 3 phase motor for high voltage

panel 2 is : adjust a photo eye to proper sensitivity

panel 3 is : take a reading (from a resistor i think) using a multimeter

im somewhat familiar with the first 3.

panel 4 is : looks similar to the inside of a control panel with only 3 or 4 components, one of which is a relay not sure about the others-- and a fan on a switch that will operate once the wire is correctly placed.

I hope i have painted a proper picture and you can help. ill be forever in you debt. and my Wife thanks you as well. LOL

You should be able to identify the components in each panel by reading the schematic. The schematic will tell you what wires should be connected to each component.
For example, the relay will need at least four wires connected to it, two for the coil and two or possibly three for each contact .

Welcome to the forum.

in regards to your test, they can and do change the test for every person
(been there before).

no offense intended,
if you do not understand schematic diagrams, not only are you in trouble, but you will get someone hurt.

good luck.

james

Can I assume that you’re familiar with this test?
And what Should I be able to study to be well prepared to identify the components more readily?
Thanks in advance

Interesting test, I may use that idea...

Recognize that most likely, what they are really looking for is your PROCESS for troubleshooting something. As I have taught many new technicians, the PRIME DIRECTIVE is to ALWAYS go from what you KNOW toward what you don't know. In other words, patiently run through it looking for everything that is correct, and the flaw will present itself to you eventually. If you start jumping to conclusions, guessing at things, acting on hunches trying out ideas etc., what you end up doing is creating NEW flaws that then mask the original one.

You should be able to identify the components in each panel by reading the schematic. The schematic will tell you what wires should be connected to each component.
For example, the relay will need at least four wires connected to it, two for the coil and two or possibly three for each contact .

I agree, if you are given schematics, that is the first thing you should look at.

Go through each part of the circuit carefully and look for wiring that does not match the schematic.

Pick a component (for example, relay) and look at all the wiring going to it. Check it against the schematics. Then pick another component and do the same thing etc.

You can also search online for sample schematics or guides. Search for things like "how to wire a 3 phase motor", "how to measure resistance with a multimeter". Youtube might have some "how to" videos.

I have had several tests.

#1 watch the system working correctly, leave the room, come back and figure out what they did.
#2 walk into a room and use schematics to figure out what is wrong, 120 volts and 480 volts.
#3 classroom training, then go figure out what was wrong on the controls and the unit for a 161kv xray system.

#1 is when a machine breaks down, who do you ask what's wrong?
#2 is when you build a control panel and are testing it out.
#3 is the same as #1, only the controls are 24 volt or 48 volts and the machine is 161kv not 480, much more involved with are flash and hazards.

james