Ge 90/30

skylersdad616

I am new to GE, I am currently working on a 90/30 series and when ever power is killed to the machine all changes I made are lost and program reverts back to the original prior to my changes. I have the box checked to save to flash/eprom when downloading, I make sure PLC is out of run mode or stopped when downloading... What else am I missing? CPU is IC693CPU350

Welcome to the forum.

let me go through this process.
you make changes to the program on the pc.
when the power is turned off to the machine and the power is restored, the program reverts back to the original and all changes are lost.
are these changes still in the plc program on the pc?
did you download the program to the plc?
can you go online with the plc to verify the program?
did you unlock the memory module and save the program on it(just a thought, I never used a memory module).

I only have worked on a ge now and then, but these are my thoughts.

james

Thanks for your response James,
The program stays the same on the pc. How ever, if I upload the program after power is lost it converts the program back before I made these changes both on my pc and in the plc. Of course I make the changes again after the program converts back to original after uploading. I made these changes to the logic on Friday, some where between then and early this morning, power was shut down to the machine and the program in the controller lost those changes. I did download to the controller as all changes I made where offline, then downloaded. The memory module is enabled and there is no security set up as far passwords, locks etc.

Welcome to the forum.

let me go through this process.
you make changes to the program on the pc.
when the power is turned off to the machine and the power is restored, the program reverts back to the original and all changes are lost.
are these changes still in the plc program on the pc?
did you download the program to the plc?
can you go online with the plc to verify the program?
did you unlock the memory module and save the program on it(just a thought, I never used a memory module).

I only have worked on a ge now and then, but these are my thoughts.

james

Last edited:
Problem solved, Found the program name did not match the name stored in the CPU 🔨

This is why I prefer to stick with Allen Bradly 🍺

If you lose the program in the 90-30, it will revert to a default program named "HHP". This may be why you found the program name did not match the name stored in the CPU.
If it happens during a power cycle to the PLC, it is usually caused by a dead battery.

"HHP" stands for "Hand Held Programmer", which is the most basic, and by far the hardest, way to program a 90-30.....or any PLC for that matter.

And...jog my memory.... what does an AB SLC500 do on a power cycle when the battery is dead?

depending oft the age of the slc 500 plc, if it has a dead battery, the internal capacitors can keep the program up to 30 days. I had one last 3 months.

james

Yep....but when the cap dies so does the logic.

You could use the PROM in the 90-30 set to load logic on power up....then you would not even need battery. BUT.... you need to remember to save to Prom after every logic edit and you have to stop the CPU to "Load to Prom".

My recommendation would be to use a "Service Reference bit" 11 to monitor the battery. %SA011 (Low_Bat)
Set an alarm to monitor this bit. This is what I do.

https://www.cimtecautomation.com/files/pdf/IC693ACC301.pdf

Last edited:
I do monitor the battery, soon as battery gets low the fault shows up on the HMI, and the battery is replaced right away. I have made back up files for all the machines on both a external hard drive, and a USB flash drive. So far have not ran into any issues in regards to loosing the logic on Either 90/30 or SLC.
Hoping someday I get the approval to start upgrading some of our PLC's and stick with AB versus having GE and AB through out the shop

Yep....but when the cap dies so does the logic.

You could use the PROM in the 90-30 set to load logic on power up....then you would not even need battery. BUT.... you need to remember to save to Prom after every logic edit and you have to stop the CPU to "Load to Prom".

My recommendation would be to use a "Service Reference bit" 11 to monitor the battery. %SA011 (Low_Bat)
Set an alarm to monitor this bit. This is what I do.

https://www.cimtecautomation.com/files/pdf/IC693ACC301.pdf

Back
Top Bottom