1746 Bas Module (basic)

ravisashi

Hi everyone!o_O

i Just wanted to know or to learn about Basic unit for slc500,
can anyone here can give me a simple tips how to start or to develop a program for this particular Basic device.
i have no clue how this basic unit works.

I have slc503 processor,rack, power supply,digital i/o analog i/o
with basic module unit.

i tried to search on the net...but its to complicated to understand!

i have basic unit user manual... not much help from the manual!

hope any of GURU:geek: Out there will help me!!!

PLS HELP ME!

S.Ravi

From my experience with this module:

If a small amount of information is to be passed between the PLC CPU and the BASIC module it can be done in the I/O image. But it's still a two step procedure using CALL's to exchange information. Large amounts would require the M registers. I haven't done this.

Functions executed within the BASIC program may also require the use of CALLs (such as number conversion)

Pay VERY CLOSE attention to the number of PUSHes prioring to executing and POPs after execution required for each call. Make sure to perform them EXACTLY even if they don't seem to do anything.

For me the BASIC unit shone in string handling. I let it pre-process strings from barcode readers, extracting the numeric part I needed and transferring just that to the main CPU.

I also let them translate a simple number from the CPU into a complex ASCII string needed by a printing unit, sparing all the complex ladder processing.

I worked with it few times and believe Rockwell has pretty good amount of manuals on ther web-site.

It's pretty easy to program unless I don't try to do too mauch in it :)
BTW, you can use just HiperTerminal to program it...

hi, thanks for reply!

as you said n_lev BTW,BTR

is not highlight and i cannot drag and drop it on my ladder.

i did set my IO configuration. im using cpu 5/03 0s302

pls help me out!

BTW = "By The Way", not "Bit Transfer Write" :)
Sorry for leading you to the wrong direction :)
I don't remember much and don't have an example code but I remember Rockwell had example code on their Web-site which was pretty self explanatiory. Try to search for "1756-BASIC" or smth. like that...

What ever you do don't bother buying the basic editor that rockwell sell it's not worth it, it's just as easy to use hyperterminal or some other comms prog.