Blinking CPU Fault Light, SLC 500

New to this forum so please excuse lack of familiarity. We just purchased a Highlight Stretch Wrap machine (Synergy2 model) that uses an Allen Bradley SLC 500 processor. At power up, all input lights appear to show correct operation. CPU Fault light is flashing. I have a 1747-UIC interface, 1747 drivers loaded on a laptop, and a straight through RJ-45 pin-to-pin patch cable. A few questions: can I send programming commands to the SLC 500 to reset the CPU and, if so, can I do it using ascii commands? If so, what commands are needed? Anyone close to the Reading, PA area who would like to handle this as a service call?

What SLC500 do you have SLC5/01,02,03,04,05?
Have you connected to the processor yet?
Do you have software? RsLogix500,RsLinx?

We do not have any of the AB control software, only the 1747-UIC interface. Just got off the phone with the mfr of the machine and they are sending an eprom that will allow us to upload the program and, hopefully, reset the machine. Can't really justify buying the ab software since we have only one machine.

I worked in the stretch-wrap machine business for some time...most likely you have an INT file which has exceeded the max (32767) or min (-32767) values for it.

You'll either need to clear these registers or buy a new CPU.

The vendor's EEPROM remedy should work, as after download all registers should be cleared.

if it does not work, get ahold of me.

[email protected]

Last edited:
I worked in the stretch-wrap machine business for some time...most likely you have an INT file which has exceeded the max (32767) or min (-32767) values for it.

You'll either need to clear these registers or buy a new CPU.

The vendor's EEPROM remedy should work, as after download all registers should be cleared.

if it does not work, get ahold of me.

[email protected]

Hopefully the OP has his/her problem solved by now as this thread is 1 1/2 years old.

Hopefully the OP has his/her problem solved by now as this thread is 1 1/2 years old.

Yes, it has been mentioned before, but we may need to remind Phil that there should be some intuitive way to identify the age of the threads. Perhaps some wrinkly wrapper that gets wrinklier with age and a tombstone with a flashing date indicator...just a thought....

BTW How 'bout them Cheeseheads?!?!