How to Interface the Printer with Controllogix L62 via a AB Generic Ethernet Module

kali rajan

How to Interface the Printer with Controllogix L62 via a AB Generic Ethernet Module

Hai All,

I Need to interface a Generic Printer with the Controllogix L62 via a Ethernet Generic Module.

I my case, I send a command(<GP><DSET><DV aI="1">Put printing data here</DV></DSET></GP>) to a printer to print the message (string or DINT type). That printing message is get from the SCADA. And that message to be send to the printer through the Ethernet communication.

So please send some suggestions for how to configure the Generic Ethernet module and how to send that particular command to the printer via this module...

Please try to response as soon as possible...

Thanks to All...

I am using ethernet/IP printers directly from my control/compactlogix plc without sockets.
My model is Zebra ZT410 (QR labels in my case), you need to change firmware on printer ethernet port from tcp/IP to EIP.

The brochure doesn't say anything about EIP so you are going to need to do some socket programming. Search the Knowledgebase for socket communication.

If you have an EWEB card it is easier but still very doable with the other ethernet cards.

I am using ethernet/IP printers directly from my control/compactlogix plc without sockets.
My model is Zebra ZT410 (QR labels in my case), you need to change firmware on printer ethernet port from tcp/IP to EIP.
Can you please send your program for my reference...

And I ask to rockwell, they said for communicating via a Ethernet Generic Module means, in that module connection parameters the Assemble Instance to be provided to the Printer as per the third party communications with Rockwell.
Thats the main reasons I could't communicate with that Printer...

Thanks for your response...

The brochure doesn't say anything about EIP so you are going to need to do some socket programming. Search the Knowledgebase for socket communication.

If you have an EWEB card it is easier but still very doable with the other ethernet cards.
Thanks for your suggestion...

Can you send any socket communication programs for my understanding that communication...else please send your program file for my the socket communications...

Thanks...

Raw socket comms are a lot of work for a simple printer.
I would probably throw in something like a Red Lion Data Station +, or an RTA Bridge, or, yes, just use the serial port.

Yes it possible but i can't know how to do it in RS232. Can you please send any reference program...

Thanks

I don't have the details of the printer, but it may be the case that the printer works off of ASCII. If that's the case, sending ASCII strings to the printer could do.

Looking at your first post, it seems this is the case already. If you have a Serial port on a computer, this is easily tested.

If you look for the document 1756-pm013_-en from Rockwell named "Logix 5000 Controllers ASCII Strings", you should have enough information for this.

Last edited:
Simply use the serial output through a device server. There are many inexpensive versions out there. The Antaira ST 601C works great.

This also works for most setups that use RS232 printing.