Question about SCADA in a new plant (body automobile)

userxyz

Hi,

We are in a car company. For the PLC, HMI and SCADA programmation we do not have any standards. For the old body we setted up a SCADA system and have a Proficy Historian with SSRS reports. All of this is custom build.

We are planning to build a second body department for a new car model. The problem we have is... what about standardisation, what about wich data to interface, how to do things.

The main problem is, several integrators will install their Cells with HMI in that new department and de connection or interfacing to a SCADA system is not discussed yet.

If we want each object or component interfaced to SCADA and a historian to view trends and reports, then this will not be simple because each integrator uses it's own standard FB's and instances, so the data structures to SCADA will never fit for all integrators...

So I think the most important question is what is needed for the end-user... And maybe we should build a standard FB that every integrator should use to make a standard structure link to WinCC...

Anyone with some experiences about this topic ?

Thanks in advance,
Combo

You should be dictating what your integrators bring into the plant. I work with many integrators, contractors, electricians, etc. In most cases, they try to push their own standards based on what's most cost effective for them as well as which product lines they carry. If you are an important customer, integrators will go a long way to comply to your specifications for all equipment they bring in.

Well, I think it's a matter of balance. Going to have them to use a standard FB maybe one step too far and I suspect many of them will push back on that.

When I worked in an auto assembly plant my approach was to make a plant-wide SCADA on my own to tie in all the discrete cells together. I'm not a fan of the Proficy Historian as it's compression setting is very basic but then you get what you paid for. OSI PI is the gold standard but at about $10 per point plus the annual support cost it may not be the best fit either.

Could you ask for a UDT or Structure to be setup in each machine that follows a standardized naming system that the data you are interested in could be accessed?

PlantB.Line1.Painter1.Production.TotalParts
PlantA.Line4.Mold3.OEE.Availability
So on...
Not sure what kind of data you guys need.
You guys could get together and figure out what information you would need from any machine. Draw out the structure/hierarchy and hand it to the integrator. Try to make it as universal as possible with ambiguous naming of tags.