FTAE ALMA and 1756-IF6I analog alarm configuration

V0N_hydro

Hi,

This is our first project with allen bradley kit.

It seems using the ALARM_ANALOG and ALARM_DISCRETE data types with the ALMA and ALMD blocks is the "the way" to make alarms for control and compact logix as they will 'just work' with factory talk alarm and event server FTAE; no need to create alarm tags on the HMI. ok good, no need for a custom block to apply deadband, latching, resetting, high/low, hysterisis etc etc and no need to map all these to the HMI tag database. time saver!

I also see on the 1756-IF6I analog input module that there is built in functionality to do the analog scaling to engineering units on the module. ok no need for a scaling block in logic somewhere.

I also see the analog alarm configuration tab allows me to set high high, high, low, low low, deadband, etc, alarm functionality is built in to the module.

Will configuring an alarm on the analog module make it show up automatically on the HMI with FTAE, or should I only use the scaling on the module and feed the scaled value to the ALMA block?

If the analog module Alarm configuration doesn't auto-magically integrate with FTAE, is it older functionality for use with HMI-tag alarms?

No, the module alarms have nothing to do with any HMI alarming unless you tie them in manually.

It isn't 'older' functionality, it is entirely separate from anything to do with HMIs (There was actually a time when there were no HMIs). The module alarms are handy for programming, as they can react independent of the program scan, and have internal code dedicated to things like hard limiting outputs, or determining Rate Of Change, without having to write specific code in the PLC.