"control synch fault"- kinetix 5500

dano65

Hi. We are using a kinetix 5500 to control an eccentric conveyor motor. We are experiencing sporadic and intermittent occurrences of a "Control Synch Fault" error on the drive. The manual seems to indicate that if four packets of feedback data are missed between drive and logix controller, the drive faults, requiring a hard reset. The cabling has been checked; the firmware upgraded; but the problem continues. The ethernet cable goes through a switch. I saw in the manual that the switch needed to be IEEE1588 compliant; which I understand to be related to Synchronous Ethernet Standard and was told that the ports had been configured with this in mind. I know it seems to be a fairly specific and quite esoteric fault; but I thought that it may be something that people have come across or heard about in general and It wouldn't do any harm to put it out there; so to speak. Any knowledge anyone may have related to kinetix 5500 and synchronous ethernet in general would be greatly appreciated.

Hi dano65,

There are alot of reasons why this could happen. So i need some more info about your setup.

Is this the only drive you have ?

What is the coarse update time set to, for your motion group?

What type of switch are you using ?

If you have an ethernet connected HMI, where is that placed in your network in relation to your K5500 drive ?

I've seen this happen on quite a few Kinetix 5500's. I've looked into it a bunch and found the only solution that works consistently is to replace the servo drive.

Resurrecting this thread from the grave since it's still relevant and has high google search ranking already.

We're having this on some Kinetix 5500 on coming off of a switch and we have changed the order so the PLC goes direct to the servos, then out the back to the switch and are still having the issue.

The switch doesn't support PTP, so we should be using an ETAP, and I'm trying to get one in to check. If I get one or otherwise solve this issue, I'll report back.