1747-l543b

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been asked if my RSLogix500 supports the L543B processor, but it's not on the list when I say "New" project....

Does anyone know the story behind that ?

What version of RS500 do you have, although I would have to say YES it supports it
Just use the 1747-L543 when picking the processor.

I've got Version 9.00.00 (CPR 9), and I admit I worded my question badly - I've been asked to go and try to upload the program from an L543B, just wanted to know success rate (password protection is unknown at this time).

For an Upload you do not go to "NEW" and there is no list. Have you ever sucked the program out of an SLC (RS500) You need RS Linx (even lite version will do) and RS500

The controller list isn't a perfect expression of the history of the SLC-500 controller family.

A "1747-L543B" would be the 64k version of the SLC-5/04 controller.

If your edition of RSLogix 500 supports SLCs (it's not the MicroLogix-only version) then it supports that CPU.

The 64k model of SLC-5/04 was released in the mid-90's initially with OS401. There were already 16k and 32k models that had a "Series A" version with OS400. So it's in the list as "1747-L543", not as "1747-L543B".

Operating system designations and Series letters for the SLC-500 controllers are determined in the basement bar at the Milwaukee airport Sheraton after a minimum of six shots of tequila.

Last edited:
The controller list isn't a perfect expression of the history of the SLC-500 controller family.

A "1747-L543B" would be the 64k version of the SLC-5/04 controller.

If your edition of RSLogix 500 supports SLCs (it's not the MicroLogix-only version) then it supports that CPU.

The 64k model of SLC-5/04 was released in the mid-90's initially with OS401. There were already 16k and 32k models that had a "Series A" version with OS400. So it's in the list as "1747-L543", not as "1747-L543B".

Operating system designations and Series letters for the SLC-500 controllers are determined in the basement bar at the Milwaukee airport Sheraton after a minimum of six shots of tequila.

That's the most comprehensive answer I've ever seen, especially the last paragraph! Thanks Ken ....

I don't even know if the Sheraton still has that sunken Four Points bar downstairs. It used to have a glass floor in the lobby that looked down into the bar. For an airport hotel bar, it was a load of fun, and I once had Visa cancel my card there because of "excessive unusual activity".

At some point in the SLC lifecycle, somebody decided they couldn't bear to simply increase the SLC-5/05's Operating System number to 503 or 504, because those were already names of controllers (and so were 501 and 502, but they disregarded those). And certainly they couldn't just keep incrementing the Firmware Revision Numbers.

So they added Series letters to the operating system, and everything came unglued because generations of A-B users were accustomed to Series letters being for hardware only.

It sounded like a good idea, at the Sheraton downstairs bar.