Rockwell Software - Core i9 or Xeon

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Ladies and Gents.

I am budgeting for a new Work Station desk top tower Computer. Less than $10k.

Is it better to go with i9 or Xeon for Rockwell Software running on VM
Workstation.

99.999% of the time I am working with Studio 5000 V31 amd ME Studio V11.

I am thinking Dual Xeon for the cores to support the Host and the Guest.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

IMO, it won't make a difference. Both are overkill for the application. You are probably not going to get noticeable performance improvement once you got 16GB, SSD, and i5 CPU.

IMO, it won't make a difference. Both are overkill for the application. You are probably not going to get noticeable performance improvement once you got 16GB, SSD, and i5 CPU.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not do any official timing or anything, but by my internal patience meter, when I went from Intel Core to Xeon quad core (+memory + raid 5 SSD), I noticed a difference with loading time, as well as Creating Run Times and Search and Replace.

Not sure which component helped the most, likely the SSD in Raid 5?

I am trying to minimize my wait time as much as possible.

With that kind of budget, not much matters lol. I'd get newest i9k with fast MVME and +4000 RAM if you're in a rush. I'd also look into a 21:9 monitor if you're doing a bunch of stuff at once...

SSD is the single most important component upgrade in any control computer. That's what will make the "instant on" experience, followed by RAM.

Oh, AMD CPU is rare in main stream work PC but I don't see why it make a difference?

The real question is, what happens to the part of the $10k that doesn't get used on this PC hahaha. If it's your personnel money, then rational decisions are required. If management is giving you that kind of budget for non video/CAD 3D rendering work, spend it before they come to their senses. Optane.

Wow, 10K is incredible overkill for a workstation. You can buy a PC with 6-core AMD Ryzen with a SSD, gaming grade graphics card and 8GB of RAM for $750. Add $500 for more ram and a huge drive and you're set.

SSD is the single most important component upgrade in any control computer. That's what will make the "instant on" experience, followed by RAM.

Oh, AMD CPU is rare in main stream work PC but I don't see why it make a difference?

Got that, will be Raid SSD or NVMe's, thanks.

Will be Intel, and since going with Guest/Host VM, was leaning towards Dual Xeon, also since some of Rockwell software is multi-thread this may also help.

The real question is, what happens to the part of the $10k that doesn't get used on this PC hahaha. If it's your personnel money, then rational decisions are required. If management is giving you that kind of budget for non video/CAD 3D rendering work, spend it before they come to their senses. Optane.

This is company budget, will be leased from IBM or Dell.

In a business environment, SSDs pay for them self in less than a year.

It will be leased, so just a monthly budget equivalent.

Wow, 10K is incredible overkill for a workstation. You can buy a PC with 6-core AMD Ryzen with a SSD, gaming grade graphics card and 8GB of RAM for $750. Add $500 for more ram and a huge drive and you're set.

I am not so sure about overkill.

I could be running multiple VMs at once in an SE development and testing environment.

6 cores is not going to cut it.

Right now I have Xeon E5 with 1 CPU and 4 cores and it is a dog.

Also 8 gigs of ram is what some call the min for just Windows 10 OS, never mind VMware and supporting a Guest and a Host + the Rockwell software. With 8 gigs, I would be getting into page file memory pretty fast.

Go for 32 gig RAM 4000, a Taichi x390, 850 w power supply, cases are pretty wide open, just size for your cooling decisions, 280mm liquid Cooler - lots of good options there too. Definitely a NVMe m.2 1 tb ssd, say WD Black. Maybe 2 with your $. GPUs depend on your main apps, but if it's just Rockwell, there's gforce in the $600 range that should be fine. Or Nvidia Quadro I believe is spec for AutoCad. i9k Coffee Lake you can overclock if needed. What's your monitor plans?

Sorry, missed that it will be leased, disregard everything I said lol. Not sure what to tell you about that, you're right about the $10k now...

Last edited: