single phase overload relay

If those CTs are not UL listed AS a “motor over load protective device”, you can only use it as “supplemental” protection. So for instance you could have a legal motor OL device required per the NEC, set for the maximum allowable current for the motor, then you could have these OTHER devices in series that you can use to turn off the motor BEFORE the OL trips by setting them lower. Totally legit. But you cannot “roll your own” motor thermal OL scheme.

Are you absolutely sure that these single phase motors do NOT have built-in thermal protection? Because at 4.9A 120V, that’s a fractional HP motor and probably 90%+ of motors like that have a simple cheap thermal switch called a “Klixon” embedded inside, which IS going to be legally suitable as the motor OL protection per the NEC. Maybe your end user is unaware of that because sometimes the wording on the motor data plate is “Thermally Protected”, or sometimes as skimpy as “TP” with a circle around it. They may not understand what that means. It means that you do NOT need an external OL protective device.

If those CTs are not UL listed AS a “motor over load protective device”, you can only use it as “supplemental” protection. So for instance you could have a legal motor OL device required per the NEC, set for the maximum allowable current for the motor, then you could have these OTHER devices in series that you can use to turn off the motor BEFORE the OL trips by setting them lower. Totally legit. But you cannot “roll your own” motor thermal OL scheme.

Are you absolutely sure that these single phase motors do NOT have built-in thermal protection? Because at 4.9A 120V, that’s a fractional HP motor and probably 90%+ of motors like that have a simple cheap thermal switch called a “Klixon” embedded inside, which IS going to be legally suitable as the motor OL protection per the NEC. Maybe your end user is unaware of that because sometimes the wording on the motor data plate is “Thermally Protected”, or sometimes as skimpy as “TP” with a circle around it. They may not understand what that means. It means that you do NOT need an external OL protective device.

The motors are internally protected; they're labeled as such. These are decorative window shade motors, and the client wants to ensure that if a shade snags on something on the way up (houseplant, cat, child, etc...), the system will power it down quickly.

Earlier in this thread, someone suggested analog current monitoring, and I said no (too expensive). Turns out it's much cheaper than I thought it would be to implement, so I'm bringing a 4-20ma CT input for each motor into the PLC and doing the current monitoring there. Now I can tweak the trip point and delay time from the HMI - no opening the panel to adjust.

Thanks!

-rpoet