Studio 5K Will Not Open

PLC Pie Guy

Hey Folks.
I have a machine in my facility that is a V21.03 L71.
Recently, I got a new laptop with all the necessary software loaded and its been working fine.
I tried to connect today to this processor for the first time with this computer. I notice now that I can't open the software.

The splash screen comes up for a bit and then it just stops. No sign of it in my task manager either.

I see on my computer that I have Studio V21, V23, V24, V26, V27, V28, V30 and V31 installed.

Opening the project in question in notepad shows me its a V21.03 project..... Could this be related to this issue??? I recall problems with this 21.03 in the past.. I didn't have this problem with my old laptop either.

Whats the least invasive way on my laptop to get this file open?

Thanks

With V21, the minor version must match as well. V 21.01 and 21.03 are not compatible with each other. It is highly advised to skip version 21 and flash to something higher if possible.

I have a similar problem. I actually get an error message.

If I run, studio 5000 as administrator, I am able to open up the program. I do not get to decide the firmware on the processor, so I am kind of stuck with it!!!!

For what it is worth, I had an issue a couple weeks ago with my antivirus removing the executable file for Logix / Studio. I had to disable the antivirus then re-install. If I kept antivirus off, then all was good. As soon as I turned it back on, no more executable. I had to get my IT dept to exclude that file in the rules. We run Kaspersky here. This also happened on two other software packages, one for ultrasonic sensors and one for some temperature controllers we use.

I would run Factory Talk Activation Manager and see if the service starts and sees your license(s). A grace period could have been set and expired.

Also, as said above, run RSL as an administrator - if it can't write to your User\Documents folder and the project is not in the default C:\RSLogix5000\Projects folder that would cause a crash.

Yup, all activation's are good. They are all server based.
Everything else works to. Normally I open this through the RSLAsset Center. I thought maybe the path was bad, so I went straight to the working folder on the server that holds the file. Same thing, I can't open it. I attached it to an email and sent it to a buddy at Rockwell, he opened it first try, no problem.

Can you open other projects?
Can you open RSL itself, not opening a project - just the start page?
If so can you open the project from inside RSL?

So, I tried to open Studio as an administrator. Browse to the file location, completely bypassing the Asset Center and it opened. Now I get the version error as I would expect it to. Not simply just closing on the splash screen.

So. Now that I can open it, I see the option to install designer version 21.03 or change the controller rev.

I think Ill wait till a downday and change the controllers revision for sake of not putting that crud on my computer.

Thanks for the help.

The most likely root cause of your problem is described well in this thread. Specifically, read through the links to the automation blog Ken Roach posted in post #3. That will explain what's going on.

The short answer is, install Studio 5000 v21.03 on your PC, or flash the PLC firmware up to v23 which is basically the same as v21 except without the minor revision, er, kerfluffle.

The slightly longer answer is, v21 is the devil and should be migrated away from as soon as possible.

You know I love clarity?...

PLC Pie Guy said:
Studio 5K Will Not Open

PLC Pie Guy said:
...the project in question...its a V21.03 project..... Could this be related to this issue??? I recall problems with this 21.03 in the past..

ASF said:
The most likely root cause of your problem...v21.03...

The OP themselves probably triggered this distraction, but the problem in this thread, by my reading, was not that v21.03 software was in use -

The problem here for this thread was that the Studio 5000 environment would not open, at all. This was resolved by running the software executable as Administrator, as jgooding first advised, and as PLC Pie Guy informs us they successfully did at the beginning of their last post.

For me, this is the thread issue resolved. What was posted in post#2 and subsequent mentions of v21.03 software are, I feel, distracting from the actual issue that was at hand, getting the Studio 5000 environment to load...

PLC Pie Guy said:
...tried to open Studio as administrator...and it opened. Now I get the version error as I would expect it to. Not simply just closing on the splash screen...

There is no mention of the fact that the resolution of the Studio 5000 issue here, and subsequent attempt to open a v21.03 project, caused the OP any further problems, other than them mentioning it and how they expected it as they are aware of it and how they know to avoid it and that they will likely change controller firmware revision in the near future.

The v21.03 software Product Resiliency Release information you've linked to ASF is indeed directly linked to what was met, after the actual problem was resolved here, and it's good and relative info to that specific issue, whether or not the OP needs it here.

But in the interest of keeping the thread on point, and not confusing recent or future readers on the actual problem this thread was apparently started for, I just felt I had to politely "pull you up" on the "root cause" statement and how I think it may be misdirected, albeit good intentioned.

I'm sure your OCD understands?

G.

Thanks all.

I'm surprised to learn from the linked material that the V20 software is affected by this as well.(Interesting read) I have lots of V20 stuff and haven't, knock on wood, had any similar problems..yet.. This would be the kind of stuff that would be nice to forget about. Just work on the control systems and never have to deal with the multitude of possible bugs, versions mismatches, work around, patches and any other term to describe the things that keep us from doing the intended work on the machine that I may have missed.

Also, an amusing comment by Mr.Roach, "You've illustrated why the people responsible for version numbering should be beaten with fish"

Agreed!
I can just picture that in my mind.

A ver 20.04 fixed the issues with 20.01 & 20.03, and I just last week downloaded and installed ver 20.05. 20.04 & 20.05 are compatible with both 20.01 & 20.03.

I opened a (originally 20.03 but now 20.04) project in 20.05, then tried opening it on another computer with 20.04 before I upgraded it and it opened fine in 20.04.

OK, while we're down this Rabbit Hole anyway...

Aabeck said:
...I opened a (originally 20.03 but now 20.04) project in 20.05, then tried opening it on another computer with 20.04 before I upgraded it and it opened fine in 20.04.

But out of interest, has anyone tried to open a project file created in v20.05 on a workstation running v20.04? Some might find an unpleasant surprise?...

Just a small, but perhaps important note on the latest (09/2018) RSLogix 5000 v20.05 software release. At RSLogix 5000 v20.04, and now v20.05, they may have restored v20.xx minor release compatibility with the Product Resiliency Release v20.03. However, they may have also introduced at v20.05 another "type" of incompatibility with previous versions...

RSLogix 5000 version 20.05 has these changes in functionality since the last release -

1756 and 1794 Classic Profiles upgraded to Add-On Profiles

The Add-On Profile (AOP) library shipped with version 20.05 updates many 1756 and 1794 I/O device profiles from Classic Profiles to AOPs. These updated Profiles affect all installed Logix Designer and RSLogix 5000 versions on the workstation. Do not share project .ACD files with these updated 1756 and 1794 I/O device profiles with workstations that have installed an earlier versions of the AOP Bundle. For proper compatibility, make sure all workstations are using version 20.05 when sharing ACD projects with these updated Profiles.

Tip:
These updated 1756 and 1794 I/O Add-On Profiles are also released in the AOP Bundle with v31 and later. They aligned the introduction of the the latest RSLogix 5000 v20.05 release with the then current Logix Designer v31 release (now v32 latest), which was updating these older Classic Profiles to Add-On Profiles, going forward.

RSLogix 5000 v20.04, for instance, will by default have an older AOP bundle installed that contains the older Classic Profiles. If you attempt to open a v20.05 ACD project file, which has any of the newer Add-On Profiles added to the I/O Configuration, with v20.04 software, you will receive a Module error 8511-8004FF00.

The saving grace here is that you should be able to install the latest AOP bundle on affected workstations which should then make them play nice together.

This technote just mentions their introduction at Logix Designer AOP bundle v31, but makes no reference to them also being introduced at RSLogix 5000 v20.05...

1075943 - Classic Profiles converted to Add-On Profiles for 1756 and 1794 I/O
Access Level: Everyone

To download the latest AOP bundle for RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer go to...

FIND DOWNLOADS

Enter "AOP" in the search field and then select "Add-On Profiles".
On the right hand side click the small Download icon (with little down arrow) beside the entry (not the big "DOWNLOADS" button above it) and wait a few seconds.

A list - "ADD-ON PROFILES ALL" should appear.
Select the "AOP_Bundle_Studio_5000_LD_V10.01-V31.00" entry and proceed to down the bundle.

Installation Notes: Add-On Profile Core 18.04

Users installing this version of the AOP Bundle should install the same AOP bundle version on all other Logix Designer workstations that view or modify the same controller. By doing so, users will avoid a known problem of having updated profile on one workstation and the other workstation producing Module error 8511-8004FF00 due to older profile (Lgx0002059926).

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I'd imagine that their intentions are usually honourable, but often ill-conceived? šŸ™ƒ

I don't have too much issue with their "issues" once we're reasonably well informed. But that is often not the case with these important gotchas and it's not that easy for users to find or stumble across such pertinent info prior to taking certain steps forward.