Fix32 7.0: Fanout block and calculation blocks

DoomQuaker

Hi,

I'm trying to use a fanout block to send a value (outdoors temperature) to different calculation blocks to rescale a temperature to suit different plc standards. However, the fanout block only triggers the block under the "Next block" field in the database, and not the actual destinations in the fanout block. This is how it's supposed to be according to the Database reference manual, however, it is also specified under "7. Calculation block" that calculation blocks can be used to "perform complex equations by chaining one calculation block through the 'Next Block' field or the FANOUT BLOCK".

I can't seem to get it working, since only the Next block is set on scan in the fanout and the calculation block needs an upstream block to activate it. I can use one calculation block at a time (the one in the Next Block field), as to the other calculation blocks, I am at loss on how to get them on scan and running.

Thank you,
M

I vaguely remember a similar problem. (Its been ten years or so).
I think I gave up and just created as many analog input blocks as needed with the same I/O address. Fix does not care how many times you access the same I/O address as long as there is a different tag name.

Thank you for the answer.

However, I'm not sure I understand how it is possible to do what you are suggesting. In my database it seems impossible to have two AI blocks with the same IO adress onscan at the same time. Do you have any experience of this?

/M

After setting the blocks to time based processing instead of event-processing, I could read the same adress as many times as needed. So that's solved.

Now I wonder if it is possible to directly send data between two different FIX nodes databases? I know it could be done with a PLC as a messenger and an OPC-server on each Fix, however, I am not too thrilled about that solution, because while we are programming the plcs, it is not unusual that we disconnect the communication cables for long periods of time.

Do you know of any better solution? Preferably one that acts more directly between the Fix nodes. I heard rumours of using scripts to make it work, but I don't really know how it could be done...

Thank you
/M

Are the nodes networked together now? If so then when you create a data link for display you have the option to select which node the data comes from.

Thank you Mickey.

Yes, the nodes are networked right now. If I'm not mistaken, you are talking about adressing a tag on a different node in the view/draw mode? I know that you can use the syntax "NODENAME:TAGNAME" to reach tags on another node, however, I want to use them in the other nodes database and manipulate the values through a calculation block. Do you know any solution for getting a link between the two databases? My backup plan is to use a PLC that is currently connected to both nodes via an OPC server, but it is not a really good solution.

Does anyone know of a better solution?

/M

I have never tried that. I don't have FIX32 to play with anymore.
As I stated above I usually like to do data manipulation in the PLC's.
I view SCADA systems as pretty pictures and don't want it controlling or something that the plant needs to operate. I want to be able to pull the plug on the computer running the SCADA and nothing happens to the plant.
But thats just me.