software for AB SLC5/03 PLC

chewep

I am PLC newbie, currently i am using AB SLC5/03 PLC with devicenet networking. I would like to know if i want to access PLC remotely from a PC. What is the approperiate configuration would be? What i can figure out is to link up PLC to a PC via RS232 and configure that PC to a server so that i have access from anywhere. What i lack of is the software to get the job done. Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

chewep said:
configure that PC to a server so that i have access from anywhere.

When you say anywhere, what do you mean?

Anywhere on the local network?
You could use a DF1 to Ethernet/IP converter such as the 1761-NET-ENI. This would connect the RS-232 port of the PLC directly to the local network.

Anywhere via the internet?
You better investigate security before choosing this route.

Anywhere via Dialup?
You can buy a relativly cheap RS-232 dialup modem to dial directly to the PLC's RS-232 port from your PC.

Anywhere on the local network?
You could use a DF1 to Ethernet/IP converter such as the 1761-NET-ENI. This would connect the RS-232 port of the PLC directly to the local network.

Hi, i will consider this solution.

I am new to OPC also, if i want to install OPC server on server PC, do i have to upgrade RSlinx lite version to PRO version so that the OPC can communicate with OPC server? Thanks.

chewep said:
I am new to OPC also, if i want to install OPC server on server PC, do i have to upgrade RSlinx lite version to PRO version so that the OPC can communicate with OPC server? Thanks.

The way I understand it, in that case RSLinx would be the OPC server. And yes, You have to buy one of the "upgraded" versions of RSLinx. Linx Lite will not allow OPC connections or configuration. There are other versions of RSLinx that are cheaper than "Pro" that will probably do what you want, it depends on the application. Check out RSLinx versions named OEM and Single Node.

What was the "OPC Server" you were talking about?

93lt1 said:

The way I understand it, in that case RSLinx would be the OPC server. And yes, You have to buy one of the "upgraded" versions of RSLinx. Linx Lite will not allow OPC connections or configuration. There are other versions of RSLinx that are cheaper than "Pro" that will probably do what you want, it depends on the application. Check out RSLinx versions named OEM and Single Node.

What was the "OPC Server" you were talking about?

I have just done a study and downloaded some OPC software i think i can work with. 1. Matrikon OPC server/client, 2.twincat 3.RSview32 demo.

I haven't tested them so i can not conclude which is the most approperiate software in my application. Anyway i thank you for giving me some useful information.

software AB PLC

Hi,
Is it possible to get the software AB PLC RS-500 for FREE ? because I need it only for MONITOR and learn about AB PLC not for EDIT or make PLC progrr make PLC program.
indra

OPC Servers normally come in demo versions that work 100% except for a time limit. RSLinx is unfortunately not one of them. You can try Kepware or Matrikon.

RSLinx and RSLogix needed for your SLC5/03 does not come free. You can try to contact AB/Rockwell. If you are a school then maybe you have a chance. If you are an individual I think not.