Updating L55 Controllogix

derrickjp7

Hey All,

I want to update my Controllogix L55 but have some questions before I start messing with the firmware. To start off, this is the list of all the modules in my rack.

Processor: 1756-L55/A v11.030
Expansion Memory: 1756-M13/A v(unknown, guessing the same as processor)
Ethernet/IP: 1756-ENBT/A v1.1
Sercos: 1756-M08SE v11.007
Input: 1756-IB32/A v2.007
Output: 1756-OB32/A v2.004

As you can see, I'm currently at v11 and I have the option of updating to versions 15 or 16 (these are the software versions I have). So here are my questions:

Rockwell download site*shows version 16 firmware update as the only option, but the memory expansion shows all versions including 15 and 16. So, would I be correct in assuming that I need to update the L55 processor AND the M13 memory expansion to version 16?

Next question. I recall reading that the Sercos module version needs to match that of the processor. This seems to be true as both my Sercos and processor are versions 11 at the moment. Again, would I be correct in assuming that the Sercos module needs to be updated to version 16 as well?

Lastly, do I need to do anything else with any of the other modules?*I would think the input and output modules are fine where they are but I was a little curious about the Ethernet/IP module.*

Thanks for all the help guys!

What are your reasons for updating? have you considered updating everything to Studio ? does the company you work for have a service contract with Rockwell? the reason I ask going from to 16 is not going to do much for you... if you can upgrade the PLC to a L6x or L7x and go with a version 2x or 3x with the L7 PLC

Not sure about the Sercos but I would also update the ENBT to 6, the I/O should be fine

I would be cautious with a firmware upgrade with levels as old as they are. If it did not have the SERCOS module, I would not be concerned at all. We had a version 16 system that we updated to 20 or 21 and when we did that, the motion controls did not work the same. I feel it had to do with either changes in the motion commands in the firmware OR with the efficiency with which the commands were handled. The issues we had were all timing-related. Things like our homing routine and home position reset no longer worked. When we looked at the code, the DN bits for some of the commands were coming on much quicker than they used to and the sequence no longer worked as it did originally. Because we knew we were not going to keep the machine in production, we opted to revert the firmware in the devices to original and all worked as originally programmed. I would determine why you need to change firmware, then proceed with caution if you decide to do it. If you have an extra processor and SERCOS module, I would recommend updating those and keeping the originals at their current level until you have validated that the upgrade works for every feature. This way, if something is not right and you need to get the machine back up and running quickly, you can just insert the original cards back in the rack.

I'm actually a student that's working with donated motion control equipment. We received a large amount of Controllogix, Ultra3000 and motors and I've been tasked with confirming everything still works and how far we can update it.

@geniousintraining
While replacing the processor with a newer one isn't out of the question down that road, for now they just want to work with what we have. At this point I've gotten everything working and moving on v11. I would like to start messing with Coordinate Systems and Cartesian movements for multiple axes, which I don't think are available until at least v15.

@drforsyth
There's no pre-existing code so I don't have to worry about everything working after the update. Thank you for the advice on your experiences though. That wouldn't have been fun to deal with had it been the case.

At this point I just need to know is the proper procedure for updating all the modules and if y'all think it'll work.

Thanks for the input!

You are correct with the PLC/SERCOS firmware. They need to stay matched. You really don't need to mess with anything else. You might want to look at the revision document for the ENBT if you have any comms issues. But I can't recall any issued with the ENBT that newer firmware would fix.

Keith

I would see if I could get a newer version and then update them all (not the digital) I think 19 would be your best, I dont think you can flash them above 19... anything higher would need to be a newer processor, so 19 for the PLC and motion and 6 for the ENBT

16.023 is the newest firmware for that processor. So, you are on the right track. You can update the ENBT card as well. 6.006 is the newest compatible firmware and you should be fine with that. The I/O cards can be updated as well, and it certainly won't do any harm in a lab environment.

But as others have pointed out, it ain't broke as it is so you would be fine do nothing as well.

Just for reference, the current processor firmware is at version 32. So you can see that your stuff is pretty old.

@geniusintraining
mellis is correct that the L55 only goes up to v16, so I'm stuck with that. I'd love to get to v20 but a new processor isn't an option at the moment. If you know where I can get a super duper on the cheap L6 or L7, let me know!

@mellis
Yeah, I know my stuff is pretty old. Its been a little bit of a laughing matter at times, but it was free and now we can start introducing motion control into the curriculum. I still would like to update it to gain access to the defined coordinate systems. v11 didn't have that functionality as far as I can tell.

@kamenges
Thanks for confirming that updating the processor and Sercos is all that I should have to do. I'll look into the ENBT but I haven't been having any issues with it, so that is one thing I could take advice on "if it ain't broke dont fix it."

Again, thanks for all the input everyone. Its incredibly helpful!

Another good reason to update to V16 is RSlogix5000 V16, like V20, is still supported and maintained and will work on a modern operating system. A new minor revision to V16 was released not too long ago.

Since your L55 is almost 20 years old, you may have problems flashing it.

This has to do with internal Flash memory that will degrade over long period of time and will fail after full erase cycle not accepting new firmware as a result.

Since you have mentioned SERCOS motion, then it will require upgrade as well to match your controller - same issue with old Flash.

As Mark mentioned, L61 is cheap and can take you up to V20. Preferable get Ser B (with blue battery).

Just a quick update for everyone. I was able to update everything with no hitches. I only updated the processor and the sercos drive and left the I/O and ethernet/ip as is and everything is working great. I still didn't get an instruction I was hoping to use, oh well! Thanks again!

Just a quick update for everyone. I was able to update everything with no hitches. I only updated the processor and the sercos drive and left the I/O and ethernet/ip as is and everything is working great. I still didn't get an instruction I was hoping to use, oh well! Thanks again!

You said you updated the processor and Sercos Drive, did you actually have to do anything on the drives, or you what you really meant was you updated the Sercos card on the PLC rack?

Thanks,