Disable the "EnableInputChecking" on Kinetix 350

FreeAtLast

Hi all. First post here, but thanks for a great site full of helpful threads.
I'm using the STO function on my Kinetix 350, and energizing those STO inputs via delayed output contacts on my safety relay. Is it bad practice to disable the "EnableInputChecking"? I want to stop the servo right before the STO disconnects power to it, but I'd rather not have to hard wire that input (IOD-29) back to my PLC. I'm not planning to use any of the drive's I/O, and I'm hoping I can do all communication over ethernet.

What is the common practice here? Do people just send stop/MSF commands, in lieu of dropping the enable bit?

I have used the safety STO inputs on the drive and stopped using the EnableInput.
The delayed STO provides the real safety. You ramp the system down then MSF (hopefuly before the STO drops). Of course you still need to MAFR MSO and re-establish all the axis relationships afterwards.

Ok thanks. I plan to ramp the system down then give an MSF command, like you said, before the STO drops the motor power. And I'm not planning on using the enable bit at all.

If you are doing coordinated axis movement another cheeky trick is to do all your movement and relationships with virtual axes and just gear the physical axes to them. Then if you do a MASD you don't have to rebuild the relations between them.