Addressing a Panelview 600 w/RIO

bob moomaw

I am replacing a wired panel (switches, lights, etc..) with a panelview 600, the existing panel is using Flex I/O, with 1747-SN card, I want to use the scanner card, I going to purchase PV 600 with RIO. My question is, as I was setting up the objects and addressing them, when I would go to "Validate All" I would get a error.."Tag does not have a valid address in the terminals assigned Discrete Rack or Block Tranfer Channels" Is there a special addressing? like Devicenet has.

I wished I could explain it to you in one paragraph but I can't. YES remote racks on a SLC-500 system have a very different addressing system. Hopefully someone here can give you a better explaination.
Bob

You must configure the comms settings before you can validate the application.

In PB32, on the project tree, open "Application Settings", then click the "Terminal Setup" tab.

Next, click the Comms Setup button and choose the PLC type, give it a Name, rack number, size, and baud rate you wish to use.

If you are only using Input and Output addresses, that should be all that is required on this dialog. Also, the help button on this screen has more detail to help you along.

Sidenote: If you wish to add block transfers to send/receive even more data than available with the normal discrete transfers, then you can configure those by clicking the "Block Transfer..." button.

Then, in your tag database, make sure you choose the Node Name you have configured, and that your addresses are within the Rack/Group you chose.

Paul

Last edited:
Greetings Bob ... and welcome to the forum ...

the BEST way for us to help you is for you to post your .RSS program file (zip it first) ...

the main issue is to make sure that you're not going to "overlap" any existing addresses ...

how this screen for the 1747-SN is already set up will be VERY important ...

sn_gdata.JPG

it would also be VERY helpful to know if your SN module is a series A or series B ... (cross your fingers for the B) ...

and be sure to give us the COMPLETE catalog number from your PanelView (example: 2711-XXXX) ...

anyway ... the more you can tell us, the more we can help ...

PS Edit ... are you going to "throw out" all of the existing Remote I/O - and replace it ALL with the PanelView? ... or will some existing Remote I/O devices remain connected after the PV is installed and working? ...

Last edited:
Morning Ron,
I plan on removing/replacing the existing Flex I/O, with the panelview, and since my RS232 port on the SLC, and my Ethernet port is used by the network, I decided to use the 1747-SN card that was already there for the FlexI/O. The catalog # is 2711-T6C1L1. I am using for ex: O:6.3/2 and/or B3/202, but it comes back with the same error, also I have not updated the logic for the Panelview, I started with the screen design first, so the Zip file is the running logic today.

PB_RIO.JPG

Try these settings...you may not want the full rack, if it is replacing a half rack, then uncheck the last two module groups. Also, your baud rate may be different, and your scanner might be a series B.

But in any case, once you have set this up, you PB32 app should validate with the same addresses as the Flex I/O you are replacing.

Paul

Thanks Paul,
that seems to have worked, no more errors for that problem.
I love this site, it has been very helpful during the past few years. Thanks again to all for your help.

Bob