Pleas help!

I usually agree with the better idiot proposal. But I think maybe in the case of traffic lights, it is actually a logical progressive improvement, not a fix for idiots.

It gets back to the laws of motion (inertia in particular). A body in motion tends to stay in motion and a stopped body wants to stay stopped. Why should a line of cars traveling through a light at maybe 45 MPH have to come to a sudden stop (when the line of cars in the opposite direction is stopped and will need several seconds to get moving due to the same law of motion)?

Probably if traffic lights had been well-designed, they would have employed the delayed green from Day 1. I suppose the first ones had to take into account some remaining horses and wagons, so it was a different ball game.

Last edited:
why don't we program them all to flash simultaneously

then the code is easier

why don't we program them all to flash simultaneously
That would violate the government premise that no normal human could possibly know when it is safe to go through an intersection, without help.

Lostchief,

Are you still running around in traffic light circles with cars piling up every which way?

Why not? How far do you get?

Did you follow my step-by-step directions in Post #12? (Do not use Post 11 because I left out the fact that you must be signed on to this site with a username and password, or it will not accept uploads from you.) There are 8 steps, and do all of them, one at a time, and you can attach a file. Your file must be one of the allowed types, and it must be within the listed size range for your membership type.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=78548&page=2

Allowed file types:
bmp doc dwg dxf gif jpeg jpg pdf plc png ppt psd txt xls zip

Last edited:
Which step are you on when you get stopped?

Step 6 is the one that gets most beginners. When you Browse to your file and select it, a message pops up in the center of the "Attach Files" window that says "Uploading File(s). Please wait". You do have to wait, sometimes for a minute or longer depending on the speed of your Internet connection. When the file gets uploaded to the PLCtalk computer, the message changes to "Current Attachments" then lists the name of the file that you chose. Now close the "Attach Files" window and go back to the original "Go Advanced" window and scroll to the bottom and select "Submit".

If you want to become a programmer, learning to follow instructions step-by-step is very important. Customers will give you vague poorly-written descriptions and specifications and expect that you will follow them exactly. Skipping steps that you don't like or you think are not needed usually does not work very well when dealing with a paying customer.

Last edited:
Are you trying to load your LogixPro ".rsl" Traffic Light program file, without first converting it to a ".zip" compressed file? (See note at the end of Step 4 - it MUST be one of the listed file types). That is another snag that stops a lot of students.

As usual, I am making a lot of shots into a dark room full of mushrooms, with very few hints to go on.

Last edited:
believe me I do appriciate it, I have to finish up my chpt 12 homework then I will get back to my traffic light problem,I should be back on in about an hour or so then I will try to upload a picture of my rungs again thank-you again for being patiant with me.

well I would like to just say thank-you again! I past my final on tuesday and also got an a on my project with your help ofcourse!!!!! so I now have my associates degree in commercial/industrial maintenance. :) but I still have aaaaaalot to learn about plc's and the correct programming procedures and what to use an when to use it, so Im sure I will be back real soon...

Last edited:
In a twist on the "How do you program the traffic light assignment", I was never asked to do that one. Does anyone have a copy of the assignment itself? I'd be interested in playing with it. Assuming there is more to the instructions than "make them work."

Thx,

Kraken Fan #69