Powerflex 70

Terrep

I have two 415Vac 4 pole 0.75kW motors operating two separate drag chains in a feather bin. They are intermittently stalling on 6.0 Hz, they both have external fans. I'm using senseless vector control and I've adjusted the SV Boost Filter to 32767. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards
Darren

2015-03-04 17.02.36.jpg 2015-03-04 17.03.13.jpg 2015-03-04 17.03.23.jpg 2015-03-04 10.58.29.jpg

Terrep,

To get a better response, can you define " They are intermittently stalling"?

Are you saying that the motors stop rotating or do they trip on overload?

How long do they run at 6 hz?

Do you use speeds higher than 6 Hz, and for how long?

Hi Vaughn,
Yes the motors stop rotating. They may run at 6.0 Hz for a couple of hours depending on how full the bin is. Towards the end of the shift they increase the speed of the bin.

Regards
Darren

Michael,
No we can't intermittently feed at a high hz.

Vaughn,
We don't get a fault with the drive. I have encoders mounted on the shaft. A speed switch fault is generated if we don't see a change on the encoder input.

This may not be the same as you problem at all but..

I have 2 Centrifugal Oil Separators that I encounter the same thing on occasionally, both on PF70's.
(Not often but it has happened several times)
These do not run at the very low Hz as your machine, these run normally at 60Hz.

They will be running fine, we will have a down period in production, maybe only a few hours, then go to start back up and one of them may hang at around 12-13hz, motor does not turn, no fauts on drive.

Each time they call me down and EVERY time it has been a mechanical not an electrical problem.
We pop the top, take it down and clean it, put it back together and everything works just fine.

Point is maybe look at your mechanical set up also. Just a thought.

Is this a new installation or an existing one that just started having this problem?

When it does "Stall" on you are you able to get it going again right away? If so how?

Good Luck
BCS

Last edited:
Terrep

What is the Maximum speed of the drive that the operators use?

(Not the Drive setting which is 130 Hz parameter 55 from the PDF)

This is important Mildrone has asked for it twice
It totally changes the recommendations that you will get from us

When the bin is full of material, the speed is between 6 - 12 Hz. Towards the end of shift when there is less material in the bin, the speed may be increased for short periods of time.

I think you have a mechanical issue more torque from the motor this is why the vsd lower the frequency I have come up with this kind of situation

I have two 415Vac 4 pole 0.75kW motors operating two separate drag chains in a feather bin. They are intermittently stalling on 6.0 Hz,...
Looking at your parameters, you have "147 Current Limit Sel" set to a Current Limit Value of 7.5 Amps and 250%. According to the manual, when this current limit is reached (usually at low speeds), the drive will throttle back the voltage and frequency until the current is within the setting. In your case, it is probably not able to meet the current limit at low speed until it automatically drops the speed to 0.

Here is the section on the Current Limit Sel setting from Chapter 2, Page 84 of the Powerflex 70 & 700 Reference Manual. You might try one of the 5 other ways of current limiting. As others said, you probably need a gearbox with a ratio that allows you to run the drive at higher motor speeds at the lowest speed needed.

3. Software Current Limit - This is a software feature that selectively faults
the drive or attempts to reduce current by folding back output voltage
and frequency if the output current exceeds this value. The [Current Lmt
Val] parameter is programmable between approximately 25% and 150%
of drive rating. The reaction to exceeding this value is programmable
with [Shear Pin Fault]. Enabling this parameter creates an F63 “Shear
Pin Fault.” Disabling this parameter causes the drive to use Volts/Hz fold
back to try and reduce load.

The frequency adjust or fold back operation consists of two modes. In
the primary mode of current limit operation, motor phase current is
sampled and compared to the Current Limit setting in the [Current Lmt
Val]. If a current “error” exists, error is scaled by an integral gain and fed
to the integrator. The output of this integrator is summed with the
proportional term and the active speed mode component to adjust the
output frequency and the commanded voltage. The second mode of
current limit operation is invoked when a frequency limit has been
reached and current limit continues to be active. At this point, a current
regulator is activated to adjust the output voltage to limit the current.
When the current limit condition ceases or the output voltage of the
current regulator attempts to exceed the open loop voltage commands,
control is transferred to the primary current limit mode or normal ramp
operation.

Last edited:
Doing an Auto-tune will not prevent the PowerFlex 70 from stalling (going to 0 speed with no faults) due to the Current Limit Select function forcing the speed to 0 because the current is too high at low speeds.