Murr Elektronik Cube67 network stops responding

I've run a cube67 system in the past with 2 analog in and 2 analog outs on one branch for some analog pressure regulators.

Turned out the regulators were drawing like 2A a piece - and when enough of them were on at JUST the right time, a block would drop out, and the sequence would 'wait' - stuck on a step just like you are describing.

Adding a y-split and separate power supply feed stopped my issue, but I can't speak 100% for yours.

From what I can recall the total power you can pump in is split at the Bus Node - channel 0 and 2 get 1/2 and 1 and 3 get half. I want to say it is like 8A max output power - but the individual modules have less.

How do you get to the fault page you are referring to?
Is this is? If so, what does this info represent?

diagnostics.jpg

Last edited:
About an hour after my last post, the entire network dropped again, unable to ping.
Murr Elektronik was kind enough to send me a "sample" 56535, which is much newer and swaps directly in place of the old bus module. He (Mark) even pre-configured it based on the previous module settings, so I literally had to swap it and go. Machine started right up, so we'll give it a week or so and see if we have any more dropouts.

Hey phuz,

That is the page I'm referring to. I believe Cord No. is the branch or port on the Bus Node. Slot No is the module number of of that port/branch. Channel No is the pin on that particular module that is having the problem.

I PM'd you a document and ACD a couple of days ago. The document explains that a bit. Though some terminology may be a little different since the document was for the 56525.

And Mark is a stand up dude. Very knowledgeable and always accessible.

Hey phuz,

That is the page I'm referring to. I believe Cord No. is the branch or port on the Bus Node. Slot No is the module number of of that port/branch. Channel No is the pin on that particular module that is having the problem.

I PM'd you a document and ACD a couple of days ago. The document explains that a bit. Though some terminology may be a little different since the document was for the 56525.

And Mark is a stand up dude. Very knowledgeable and always accessible.

Haha thanks. Didn't even see I had a PM.

When I swapped the module around, I found the network cable adapter separated like this. Maybe it had something to do with it, maybe not.

IMG_7988.jpg

Mark is great!

Glad to hear you might have this up and running. Personally, Murr makes some of the best network stuff I've used. You can get SO much IO on a single IP.

I am having a similar if not the same issue, so I thought I'd add what I've seen so far, instead of starting a new thread. I'm working with Murr, but they don't have any solid answers, yet.

I have started up 3 machines with multiple Murr 56535 bus nodes on them.
All of them are relatively small networks.

At random times, the I/O data stops updating to the PLC over Ethernet/IP. At this point, no communication faults are present on the PLC or bus node side. The web interface of the bus node can still be accessed.

If I unplug the Ethernet cable, the PLC side of the communications faults, but the LEDs on the bus node still show communication is fine. After plugging the cable back in, the LEDs still don't change, the communications doesn't reestablish, and the web interface is not accessible.

Cycling power to the bus node is the only recovery method that works.

With Murr's help, we tried updating firmware revisions in the bus node, changing Ethernet switches, adding ground straps, and testing power draw and voltage drops. Nothing has helped so far.

We have seen the problem come up on 2 different CompactLogix PLCs with different firmware revisions.

I have seen the problem happen several times an hour and have seen it happen up to a week apart.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Murr on a WireShark data analysis.

I'll update when I have anything new.

For what it's worth, I added the DI8/DO8 module (56681) to the newer bus module (56535) and it is working fine. For whatever reason, adding it to the old network caused it to connect/disconnect/connect...... so the status would alternate between 4096 and 3. Neither Yaskawa nor Murr had any ideas. But it's up and running on the newer network so I'm content.