need a little help with the PLC-5 1771 ofe/ife analog cards

ishmail

to get straight to the point im working with a PLC-5/20 programmable controller, is mounted on a 1771 a3b1 12 slot chassis.
it has 1771 ofe and 1771 ife cards, i configured them now how do i communicate with the outside machinery.

your help will be greatly appreciated.

Greetings ishmail,

and welcome to the forum ...

Ron Doran is correct - you’ll need block transfer instructions to communicate with your analog modules ... we can help - but we’ll need more information in order to give you specific detailed suggestions ...

first, please tell us what addressing mode you’re using ... check the setting shown below ... (important! do NOT trust the setting shown in the I/O Configuration feature) ...

ifeofe1.JPG

next, we’ll need to know how you’re wiring your input modules ... single-ended or differential ... and what scaling you want to use ... basically we’ll need to fill in the following screen ...

ifeofe2.JPG

the button that I’ve circled is VERY handy - it will automatically write the Block Transfer rungs for you ... but you really should have everything else set up correctly before you do that step ...

also, we’ll need to know exactly which slots you have your modules installed in ... the best way to tell us is by “lettering” the slots “A” through “M” instead of using numbers - with the processor in slot “A” ... this will help remove the ambiguity that often results with different addressing modes ...

also, we need to know the exact catalog numbers of your modules ... for example: 1771-IFE/A and 1771-IFE/B modules have different setup requirements from 1771-IFE/C modules ...

anyway ... the more you tell us, the more we’ll be able to help ...

and don’t forget to set the jumpers hidden INSIDE the IFE modules ... let us know if you need help with those ...

Thanks for your reply.

i am using the 1771 ife/b and 1771 ofe/b modules, for PLC-5. when i started there was a green light flashing. so i went into the module manuals and studied chapter 3. firstly, there were example programs but they are not complete. then i went to the IO CONFIG, because the manual said i could take advantage of the software i was using.

there i configured my I/O modules starting with the PLC-5 programmable processor on the left most slot "A", and then the DC, AC and lastly the Analog modules on slot "F" for the 1771 ife/b 12 bit with 16 I/O PORTS and slot "G" for the 1771 ofe/b 12 bit with 4 I/O PORTS.

i went into the analog modules where i set the INPUT TYPE to Single ended, the DATA FORMAT is BCD and the DIGITAL FILTERING is DISABLED.
the ADDRESSING MODE is "1 SLOT".

I then proceeded and pressed the INSERT RUNGS button, this automatically inserted the rungs for me to my astonishment and relief. after all this i downloaded the program and the green light went on without flashing. now the manual says that if its flashing that it is waiting for configuration write, so i guessed that the configuration bits had been sent.

so now, can i proceed with normal programming or is there a special way that analog cards receive and output their instructions. cause i see that they scan their instructions. can you please write me and example program that drives something, motor, valve anything.

DATA FORMAT is BCD

change this to "Two's Compliment Binary" instead ... (BCD is mostly for the older PLC-2 family) ... I'll try to send you an example program later this afternoon ...

questions: is this just for learning - or is it part of a real-world application? ... what types of inputs are you using - voltage or current? ... did you set the internal jumpers? ... is your 1771-OFE module a type OFE1, OFE2, or OFE3? ...

sorry I'm short on time ... see if the enclosed program helps ... once I get the rest of the information, I might be able to give you better advice ... good luck ...

thank you.

i seems that the input module 1771 ife/b can read some values, im actually doing this for some farm. im not used to working with analog signals and such old modules.

thank you once again for all your replies.