iVu Plus Barcode Scanner over Ethernet I/P Compactlogix

Daniel_LeRoy

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I'm over my head and I'm struggling to keep a float. I posted earlier trying to figure out these tags but I think I was asking the wrong questions. I'm back with new thoughts but the same problem. Currently I have a Banner iVu Plus hooked into my Ethernet I/P network. its scanning and I'm receiving information. The format that the information is being received in is what is throwing me through a loop. o_O

The problem is that with these numbers being ASCII type I can't manipulate them at all. A couple things I need to do with the information. The values are reverse so I need to SWPB the values, then I need to merge them all into two DINTs. But I don't know how to deal with this style of a INT. Also on a side note every time I change the "Style" when I save the program it reverts back to decimal. I can get around this by copying the vales to a different tag, but its still in ASCII style.

Anyone have any experience setting one of these Banner Sensors up? Or anyone have any advice at all? I'm stuck.

Here is pictures on how I set up the module

Ethernet%2520Module.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAALK0/zFsqZER_dn0/s556/Ethernet%20Module.jpg

Module%2520Properties%25202.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../0r9uIvrkz4A/s556/Module%20Properties%202.jpg

Module%2520Properties.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...ALLQ/VEuMNJyEqOA/s556/Module%20Properties.jpg

Here is a picture of the tags it generated
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lml1XrCggRdaj_IOTUFR6NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Generated%2520Tags.jpg

lml1XrCggRdaj_IOTUFR6NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

When I change the Tag style to ASCII is shows me the values which are the right numbers.
bR0vRYuSnfkSNVWGAEe1D9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bR0vRYuSnfkSNVWGAEe1D9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Changed%2520Style.jpg

The values are reverse so I need to SWPB the values, then I need to merge them all into two DINTs.

Give an example using the values in the last screenshot:

iVu_Plus1:I.Data[61] 07
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[62] 51
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[63] 24
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[64] 94
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[65] 05
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[66] 48

Do you need the values 5107, 9424, and 4805 ?

Or the values 7015, 4249, 5048 ?

Or something else ?

We're going to use the SWPB instruction, maybe some COP or CPS instructions, then the STOD instruction to convert a String to a DINT.

First, tell us what the result should be and we'll work backwards from there.

Give an example using the values in the last screenshot:

iVu_Plus1:I.Data[61] 07
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[62] 51
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[63] 24
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[64] 94
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[65] 05
iVu_Plus1:I.Data[66] 48

Do you need the values 5107, 9424, and 4805 ?

Or the values 7015, 4249, 5048 ?

Or something else ?

We're going to use the SWPB instruction, maybe some COP or CPS instructions, then the STOD instruction to convert a String to a DINT.

First, tell us what the result should be and we'll work backwards from there.

Yes. So the actual bar code number that the sensor is reading = 701542495084.

I don't know why when it splits it up that the digits are reverse. What I was shooting for is two DINT one with 70154 and a second with 2495084

Hi

Just looking at the comms format would it work if it was changed to type dint.
You could also look at the btd instruction.
But as ken says could you tell us what you expect from the values
And we could work back from there as logix is very good at swaping bytes
Words etc . I have done this a lot and it's not bad in logix

Donnchadh

If the lengths will always be 5 characters plus 7 characters, this is very easy.

If the lengths change, it's going to be a little more challenging; we'll have to figure out where the break is between data fields.

You can copy the iVu data directly into the .DATA[0] portion of a String tag, and it comes out in the order you expect.

A quick example:

IVU_Decoder.jpg

Ken,

The code length should be the same. I appreciate you looking into this. I will put this in the program and give it a try!!

:site:

Thanks Ken, and everyone else out there. This worked just as advertised.

I sleep easy at night knowing that PLCs.net will still be there when I wake up.